Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2006, 11:58 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Bathroom Shower

I recently purchased a house and had a serious leak from the 2nd floor bathroom shower. It was because of a faulty tile job rather than bad piping (the pipes were recently replaced and look good). I have taken out all of the showers tiles, the plastic base, and the wood subfloor and am down to the pipes and the studs on the walls and floor of the shower. I plan on placing 7/8" plywood on the floor screwing them into the joists, putting 3/4" plywood on top of that to ensure a secure floor, then trowel 1/4" thinset and screw the hardyboard to the plywood. Let sit for 24 hours and then tile on top. Also plan on using just hardyboard for the cieling and walls. My question is what thickness hardyboard to use and should I be installing some sort of rubber membrane- if so how would I go about doing that. If the plywood and hardyboard on the floor are not perfectly flush with the studs for the wall is this a problem? Finally, would you reccomend I do this another way. Please keep in mind this is my first attempt at tiling.

jackco711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:10 PM   #2
HJ1
tile man

Bathroom Shower

Jacko

Your plan wont work.

Check out the details of this link for proper shower floor construction. Then come back here and ask losts of questions.

http://www.ontariotile.com/preslope.html

HJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:53 PM   #3

Bathroom Shower

I read the link. Is that the only way to go about doing this. Im a little intimidated by the thought of laying a mud floor. Would it be easier for me to just use a prefab shower base from home depo?
jackco711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:20 PM   #4
DIY'er

Bathroom Shower

You can not do it the way you described. The shower base needs a slope. Your options are: a mud shower as described above, a prefab base, or I like a Kerdi shower http://www.schluter.com/english/arti...owersystem.htm

Lots of pros use this system.
There may be other options, I just cant think of any.
Hope that helps.

"What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about."

Last edited by dougrus; 11-13-2006 at 02:23 PM.
dougrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:22 AM   #5
Tileguy

Bathroom Shower

Proper shower receptors are not the no-brainer that most people think they are and I can also assure you that your proposal will leak immediately-gauranteed.

I would suggest you buy a ready-made shower receptor that doesn't require tile) and build your tile walls up from there.

Proper shower receptors can be labor-intensive and aren't for everybody with DIY leanings to take a stab at.

You could hire a pro for this project.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote