Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #1

Share |

bathroom remodel

I am remodeling bathroom and have run into a couple of issues. I had to replace part of subfloor due to mold and rot around toilet. I have replaced that BUT there is a little hole (4 inch by 4inch hole) along the bathrub. How can I cover that up before laying backerboard down. Also, The toilet flange will not go any higher than the subfloor....and I still have to install backerboard and tile. Any suggesstions here? thanks in advance

ahecei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #2

bathroom remodel

Can you install blocking under the sub floor and screw/nail a little peice of sub floor to the blocking? By this i mean run a 2x6 or so from joist to joist under the hole to give you something solid to screw to. As far as the flange you can buy a flange spacer that screws on top of the current flange or they make extra thick wax rings, hopefully someone will come along and share the best route.

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:09 PM   #3

bathroom remodel

Is there a "meshing" or tape that I can seal it with?..or what about leaving the hole because the backerboard will be lying on top of it and be sealed as well
ahecei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:36 PM   #4

bathroom remodel

First, why is there a 4x4" hole in the floor? I would definatally patch this hole. Can you get to the joiste from below? If so it will be easy to fix. Just nail a couple of 2x6 boards joist to joist where the hole is and screw a peice of sub floor to these. You need a solid surface to attach the backer board to or it will flex when walked on and the tile/grout will crack.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
Tileguy

bathroom remodel

If the hole is 4X4, cut a piece of plywood (or the like) 3-7/8" X 8". Tuck it into the hole and hold it tight under the subfloor extending it two inches on either side of the hole while you screw it from above. Install four screws (two on either side). Then cut a second piece the same thickness as the subfloor and plug the hole with that piece. Screw it into the first piece.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote