Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom flooring order

Finishing a basement project and need some advice. Plumber ran water lines to bathroom that is already plumbed. My question is do I lay my ceramic tile floor before the shower/toilet/vanity is installed? In my other bathrooms it looks like the vanity and toilet was installed after flooring but does'nt appear to be the case with shower.

will_53115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
All trades carpenter

Rewards Points: 75

Bathroom flooring order

Quote:
Originally Posted by will_53115 View Post
Finishing a basement project and need some advice. Plumber ran water lines to bathroom that is already plumbed. My question is do I lay my ceramic tile floor before the shower/toilet/vanity is installed? In my other bathrooms it looks like the vanity and toilet was installed after flooring but does'nt appear to be the case with shower.
I would match the other bathrooms.

CrpntrFrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 04:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Bathroom flooring order

The shower pan is usually part of the rough-in. Then floor. Then vanity and toilet.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:00 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bathroom flooring order

Quote:
Finishing a basement project and need some advice. Plumber ran water lines to bathroom that is already plumbed. My question is do I lay my ceramic tile floor before the shower/toilet/vanity is installed?
Shower: There are different kinds and types of showers and shower units(all tile/all fiberglass/fiberglass pan & Tile shower/other), the tile flooring generally goes in after.

Toilet: You should Always lay your tile flooring before the toilet is installed.

Vanity: It's either way. See below.

Quote:
In my other bathrooms it looks like the vanity and toilet was installed after flooring but does'nt appear to be the case with shower.
Vanity in before tile flooring: You will spend less money on tile. How much less, is dependant on the size of the vanity. This is the most common method of installation.

Tile floor in first, before vanity: You can install the whole area, where the vanity is planned to be going, thus, you have the option of upgrading to other sizes of vanities in the future. This method of installation is a preference, and is up to you.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote