Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2009, 10:20 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom Flooring Options

I currently have some kind of fake tile over laminate flooring. No idea what is under that. The tiles are damaged and peeling up from water spilling out of the tub etc. One person I have talked to about the flooring says to just go over top of it, which I have always believed is wrong. Another said the damaged tile will need to come up, but that the new floor can be laid over what is underneath. Should the floor be completely taken down and redone or can I use one of the suggested methods?

*EDIT* Because there is frequently water splashing onto the floor, I am considering linoleum, but open to options. Also, the bathroom is relatively small, about 5 feet by 8-10 feet.

Any other suggestions about this project or it's approach would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Talorin; 10-19-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Talorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:42 AM   #2

Would help if we knew what type of flooring you want to use to replace what's there now.
R&D Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&D Tile View Post
Would help if we knew what type of flooring you want to use to replace what's there now.
I edited the first post to answer your question.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:58 AM   #4

I don't recommend it, but you could install vinyl over the existing floor. I suggest you tear up the existing floor and properly prepare the floor for a proper installation. I cannot tell you what is proper because I don't know what is beneath the existing surface and don't know what you intend to install. Just make sure you do it right so you avoid this problem in the future.
JK Floors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:13 AM   #5

I really want the best result out of this project. Willing to go the extra mile to do it right. I am a newb when it comes to this subject, would the subfloor be the farthest you could tear down to? Would that be the best way to go?

Throwing cost/labor out the window, how would you guys do it?
Old 10-19-2009, 12:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talorin View Post
I really want the best result out of this project. Willing to go the extra mile to do it right. I am a newb when it comes to this subject, would the subfloor be the farthest you could tear down to? Would that be the best way to go?

Throwing cost/labor out the window, how would you guys do it?
It depends on current conditions, budget, time available, and skills available. I gutted and re-built an entire bathroom when I started out wanting to fix the problem of a small section of loose tiles. The rest of the bathroom needed an overhaul anyway. The floor problem was just encouragement.

The simplest solution is to lay vinyl over your existing floor. But I don't know the condition of your existing floor. It may mean putting some leveler on the floor so the vinyl lays flat, or it may mean tearing out the entire floor. How far down? It depends on the condition of the materials below. You've had water on them. There could be rot and mold underneath. Or everything might be in perfect condition.
JK Floors is offline   Reply With Quote