Bathroom Flooring - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Bathroom Flooring

I am wanting to put new flooring in my inlaws bathroom. They have a manufactured home and for some reason it is carpeted in the bath rooms and the subfloor looks like it is particle board so you can see the problem. I am not sure where to start or what to use for the new flooring. Any help please.

Advertisement

bbrown92y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 548

Bathroom Flooring

You can go with vinyl or laminate. I wouldn't do ceramic over particle board.

Laminate is as easy as snapping the pieces together (providing you can make the right pieces). Vinyl is a little more involved but doable depending on your DIY abilities.

IF the structure is up to par, you can put in ceramic, but I would strongly recommend replacing the subfloor first. There's a formula for finding minimum framing needed, but if you're not interested in doing ceramic, there's no reason to get into it. If you are, however, feel free to come back...we will need to know: Framing Size (2 x what?), Framing Spacing (will likely be 16, but may be 24), and what type of tile will you be using (ceramic or natural stone).

Advertisement

jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:52 AM   #3

Question

Bathroom Flooring

This will be my first project of this type, my concern is that the particle board sub floor might be wet and or moldy, how hard would it be to replace it. What brand laminate do you recomend?
Old 02-04-2007, 02:44 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 548

Bathroom Flooring

Rip out old, cut and SCREW in new. (If you're lucky the old was screwed in also, but it's doubtful). While you have the old out, check the framing and replace or sister any that are even questionable...it's much easier to do now than later.

As for a brand, I've only ever used armstrong glueless and it worked great. I would imagine most manufacturers have similar snap together systems.

Since we're talking about snap together flooring...DO NOT, no matter how the store employees might rave about it, use EDGE ceramic tile. It WILL crack in many places within a year and most likely even within a day.

You can read more about it here
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 01:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Bathroom Flooring

A bathroom floor is no place for particle board or laminates, remove it all down to the plywood and start fresh from there and use ceramic.
R&D Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:15 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

Bathroom Flooring

Hey wait a minute guys....

In most "manufactured homes" the partical board is all there is. Obviously not a good choice for a bathroom but it may be an awsome task to remove since all the walls are built on top of it.

Maybe the thing to do would be to cover the PB with exterior grade plywood then use a waterproofing membrane such as DITRA. The DITRA joints could be seamed with KERDI Band and the KERDI Band could also be used to flash-up the walls a few inches and be hidden behind the baseboards. In essence this would create a waterproof floor system that would keep moisture from above from getting to the PB.

It is true there should be no PB in a tile floor but in some cases one may be willing to take the risk, sometimes there is little choice.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:41 AM   #7

Question

Bathroom Flooring

Thank you for your advice. Like I said I am new to home improvements and am wanting to learn how to do this stuff. So if the tub and walls are all built on the PB floor ( manufactured home ), then would I need to take the tube and the sink cabnet up to replace the subfloor, or to place plywood on top of it? Also just ot be clear I should not us laminate, even though the it says it would work but I would need an inspection and have to seal it with silicone. I am sorry for asking all these questions, I just want to make sure I have the proper knowledge before attacking this. I don't want to do the wrong thing.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:18 PM   #8

Bathroom Flooring

I wouldn't use laminate in a bathroom no matter what they tell you. It resists water that sits on the top of the board for awhile, but if the water is on the seams it can swell very shortly.
Not all manufactured homes have particle board subfloors. Mines a 1987 goldenwest and has 3/4" plywood.
The only way to know for sure about your subfloor is to rip up the carpet. If only part of the subfloor is rotted then you can cut out that part and replace it (without removing sink /tub etc). You could also take out the register and pry away the plastic that covers the edge to see a cross cut of the subfloor.
I'd use vinyl in the bathroom. There are SO many great choices and designs now. I just redid my kitchen in a very low cost one (i've seen it online at discounters for $1.05 a sq ft) ..mannington benchmark oregon slate.. It can't be very expensive to do a small bathroom. I may do my smaller one since i have left over vinyl now.
llazyiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:10 AM   #9
Tileguy

Bathroom Flooring

llazyiest,

Are you lonely? Need something to do? Bored with your everyday life outside the Internet? New to discussion forums?

You are responding to a thread that is more than a year old and until your response had no activity since Feb of 07.:
Old 05-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #10

Bathroom Flooring

No to all of the above. I was aware of the date when I responded. However, I felt that other's who have the same problem regarding manufactured homes and stumble upon this while googling for answers would benefit. Discussion forums are useful beyond the needs of the original posters. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to attempt to enlighten me.
llazyiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:49 AM   #11
Tileguy

Bathroom Flooring

OK just checkin'.

Advertisement