DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

bathroom floor tile job advice needed

10K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  dbrew 
#1 ·
We are tiling our bathroom floor. The floor layers include the following. Plywood Subfloor, luan, linoleum, luan, linoleum. I'm guessing they thought the original linoleum had asbestos and covered it or it was just easier.

Originally I was going to remove the top layer of linoleum and thinset the new tile over the top layer of luan. I have been told it's not a good idea. I was told to thinset cement board or denssheild down over the top layer of luan and then tile.

I think that will work but adding 2 more layers raises the floor pretty high. I'm thinking of removing top layers of linoleum and luan and thinset and nail Denssheild over the 1st layer linoleum, then tile. Is that ok?

What would anyone recommend. Am I doing too much or not enough? Can I put the Denssheild over the old linoleum? Is there a best way to get the old luan & linoleum off the floor?

Thanks for any advice.

#4 ·
Thanks for the advice. The explaination link is great. I'm one that likes to why for everything, which can get in my way sometimes, especially on home projects.

So, I have removed the 1st layer of luan and linoleum. There is some black powder in about a 2 ft square by the shower. I suspect some minor mold. I washed it with bleach to kill what I can see. I've been poking around in the cracks with screwdrivers and tools to see if it feels rotted. Still seems pretty solid so I'm hoping if any water damage that it isn't too bad. I'll find out after the next layer is off. I will remove toilet tomorrow and finish 1st layer.

Once everything is off. Would laying down 1/4in luan then 1/4in Denssheild work ok? I bought the Denssheild last Jan when we did the other bathroom since I needed to rent a truck to get it home so I have it already.

Thanks again for the help.

#5 ·
No luan, you should forget you ever heard that word. Luan is specifically excluded when it comes to tile underlayments or components thereof. The 1/4" plywood is another problem, 3/8" is the minimum, 1/4" just doesn't have the required plys and has failed the testing done on it.:)

Get down to your primary subfloor and see what's there before you make any final decisions. R&D Tile has asked some questions and the answers to those questions are really necessary for anyone to diagnose the existing situation and make recommendations to procede with.:)

#7 ·
Ok, I have all the layers off down to original subflloor. The bottom layer was not luan but about 1/4 plywood (looks like 3 ply). Good condition overall but about 2-3 inches rot around the shower area.

I will check that for leaks tonight by taking a long shower and see what I can see. I think there may have been a leak a long time ago with the previous owners. Looks like a reciprocating saw cut a chunk out of the floor. It feel solid all over.

I have some squeaks that I'm thinking of screwing down along the joists. Any need to remove old nails?

Looks like the joists are 2 x 10 (~1.5x ~9.25in). They are spaced 16 inches apart. I don't know how long the unsupported aspan is. The house is about 30ft wide and bathroom from wall to wall is 11ft measured parallel to the joist.

I think that is the info you needed.

Thanks.

#8 ·
If I can add a question to this thread, I have a similar problem. I have linoleum atop luan in my kitchen. I'd like to replace it with tile. I'd pull up the floor, luan and all, but the luan extends beneath the kitchen cabinets. I assume that I have no choice but to pull the cabinets, rip out all the luan and start over?

Also, what are your suggestions when it comes to laying tile under the cabinets versus around them? Laying it under the cabinets would ensure enough clearance for things like dishwashers.

#10 ·
The Onion is coming apart a little bit. I got side tracked by tracking down a shower leak. I can't believe how long it took to find but I think I have it resolved now.

Here is what I found for my floor.

The floor is 3/4in plywood. Looks like the joists are 2 x 10 (~1.5x ~9.25in). They are spaced 16 inches apart. I don't know how long the unsupported aspan is. The house is about 30ft wide and bathroom from wall to wall is 11ft measured parallel to the joist.

I have 1/4 in Denssheild from my last job that I want to use. Should I add one more 1/4in down below that of some material? What should that material be? Is 1/4 plywood ok if I cement the Denssheild on top of that and then tile?

Thanks for your advice.

#13 ·
I probably should have had it tested, you're right. I hope that lifting up the 1/4 inch underlayment under it while it was still glued to it minimized any issue. Very little linolium was exposed to the air.

The house was built in the mid 80's. Did they use asbestos in houses in that time period?

Hopefully everything will be ok. I will check it in the future.

#15 ·
I think I spelled it wrong initially, I think it is Lauan. It is a thin plywood about 1/4" thick and not very sturdy. I think it is used for underlayment for vinyl/ linoleum floors.

Everyone I talked with said don't use it for a layer because it doesn't do any good. It has very little rigidity to take out flex in the floor for tiling. I did not use it.

I used a top layer of Denssheild which is supposed to be a water resistent product. Maybe not the best according to some but easy to work with and my last project seems to be holding up well. The tile shop by us said it is fine to use. The floor did not seem to have any flex in it when I installed it. Cement board was also recommended.

Good luck on your job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.