Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom Floor - Tile - floor Height - Flange

Hello,

My upstairs bathroom was leaking in my kitchen, so that job was bumped to the top of my honeydew list (I am also removing the wallpaper...fun fun fun...). The bathroom floor to be tiled is about 5 X 7.

I removed a large cabinet, vanity, toilet and old vinyl. The particle board (5/8") was damaged in several places so I removed it all (my son earned $20 for helping...well worth it!). Whatís left is the plywood sub-floor. I donít know the thickness of the plywood, but assume it is either 5/8 or 3/4??? I suppose I could drill a hole and measure if needed, but I may not need to...read on...

So here is my plan, so please tell me if I am missing something, doing something unnecessary or wrong.

1) Since the plywood shows some minor water damage (stains), I will paint the floor with a water-based, all purpose sealer.

2) Next, I will apply 'flooring adhesive' to the plywood and attach 3/8" plywood (off setting the seems with the plywood underneath and not nailing to the floor joist, just nailing to the plywood underneath).

3) Next, I will apply a thin coat (1/16"?) 'Thin set' to the new 3/8 plywood and attach 1/4" Cement board or Hardibacker. I believe this needs to be screwed down with deck screws. At the same time, I will fill any cracks with thin set and apply fiberglass mesh and top with more thin set.

4) The 3/8" plywood and the 1/4" hardibacker with roughly equal the 5/8" particle board that was removed, so I should be able to screw down the toilet flange to the hardibacker and plywood underneath.

5) Finally for the tile floor, I will apply thin set (1/4") to the hardibacker and apply the 4" tiles. I have found several sites that describe how to lay floor tile (laying them out in a T pattern and such).

I have read that "The top of the flange should be installed flush with or no more than 1/4 in. higher than the finished height of the tile."

I guess I am worried that my tile height plus thin set will be too high. I know they make 'flange extenders', but I shouldnít have to use one for this installation, right?

Also, regarding the door threshold, I have read that a nice piece of marble or something similar would look cool, any thoughts? (I just have carpet in the hallway).

I have never tiled anything before, so any suggestions or tips are appreciated.

Thanks,

Cam

DoItYourSelfer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,128

Quote:
1) Since the plywood shows some minor water damage (stains), I will paint the floor with a water-based, all purpose sealer.
Why?

Quote:
2) Next, I will apply 'flooring adhesive' to the plywood and attach 3/8" plywood (off setting the seems with the plywood underneath and not nailing to the floor joist, just nailing to the plywood underneath).
Nope! No adhesive.

Quote:
3) Next, I will apply a thin coat (1/16"?) 'Thin set' to the new 3/8 plywood and attach 1/4" Cement board or Hardibacker. I believe this needs to be screwed down with deck screws. At the same time, I will fill any cracks with thin set and apply fiberglass mesh and top with more thin set.
You should read some installation recommendations instead of winging this.

Quote:
4) The 3/8" plywood and the 1/4" hardibacker with roughly equal the 5/8" particle board that was removed, so I should be able to screw down the toilet flange to the hardibacker and plywood underneath.
OK.

Quote:
5) Finally for the tile floor, I will apply thin set (1/4") to the hardibacker and apply the 4" tiles. I have found several sites that describe how to lay floor tile (laying them out in a T pattern and such).
Four Inch tiles? H-m-m-m-m!
I think you need more research, a lot more research.

Quote:
I have read that "The top of the flange should be installed flush with or no more than 1/4 in. higher than the finished height of the tile."
OK!

Quote:
I guess I am worried that my tile height plus thin set will be too high. I know they make 'flange extenders', but I shouldn'tít have to use one for this installation, right?
You worry too much.

Quote:
Also, regarding the door threshold, I have read that a nice piece of marble or something similar would look cool, any thoughts?
Marble "saddles" are available at home centers.

Quote:
I have never tiled anything before, so any suggestions or tips are appreciated.
Go slow, keep your head low, always place the shiny side up, and ask lots of questions, but not all at the same time.

Your deal!!!

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Here is what I see...

Was a lot worse. Scrubbed with Bleach. The Primer/Sealer is to eliminate any chance of mold. Bought some Water Putty to fill minor wood divots. Added GCFI outlet and replaced three wall switches with new white 20 amperes switches. Am trying to get walls painted before continuing with floor.

People don't use 4" tiles for the floor?

Last edited by DoItYourSelfer5; 12-15-2008 at 07:01 PM.
DoItYourSelfer5 is offline   Reply With Quote