Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom Floor Replacement

Hello,

I just finished gutting my upstairs hall bath and I'd like to know the proper materials to use in preparation for a sheet vinyl install. I'm down to the 2x material and need to come up 3/4" to match the height of the adjoining hallway floor. What I removed was some sort of cement/mortar board with wire backing (circa 1969).

Do I start out with 1/2" plywood, followed by 1/4" underlayment?? What are the recommended procedures and materials?

Thanks,
Gene

Gene Labbé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Labbé View Post
Hello,

I just finished gutting my upstairs hall bath and I'd like to know the proper materials to use in preparation for a sheet vinyl install. I'm down to the 2x material and need to come up 3/4" to match the height of the adjoining hallway floor. What I removed was some sort of cement/mortar board with wire backing (circa 1969).

Do I start out with 1/2" plywood, followed by 1/4" underlayment?? What are the recommended procedures and materials?

Thanks,
Gene
I'd prefer a good grade of 3/4 ply and a thin underlayment if underlayment is even needed. Sheet vinyl over concrete seems to do just fine so I'm really not seeing it necessary over ply. But the manufacturer of a particular product may have a reason to do so. Check with them on underlayment if possible.

Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

You need 3/4" ply and 1/4" underlayment for sheet vinyl.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #4

Thanks Rusty. Forgive me if this is a silly question, but is the 1/4" underlayment simply plywood, or is it some other type of product?
Thanks again, Gene
Gene Labbé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:01 AM   #5

I agree. Use 3/4" plywood with 1/4" underlay. I believe they type you want is called luan.
Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awoodfloorguy
I agree. Use 3/4" plywood with 1/4" underlay. I believe they type you want is called luan.
I don't know if lauan is a good idea for a bathroom. If it get wet, it will swell. Even with vinyl sheet, I think a 1/4" cement backer board would be a better choice.

I just did porcelain tile on my breezeway over cement backer board. I'm doing my kitchen and bathroom next.

There is also Ditra, which looks like it might be good for a wet area. Not sure about that though.
aerobatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:19 AM   #7

It's 3/4 Tongued and groved underlayment rated Plywood or better yet Advantec subflooring, with constrution adhesive on top of the floor joist.
It's nailed every 6".
Then 1/4 rated A/C underlayment rated plywood, not Louon!
Most manufactures of vinyl floor state in the install directions not to use louon, it can cause glues to reliece and color bleed through.

The under layment needs to be attached every 4" on the outsides and every 6 to 8" in the field. When installing it there's no glue used, the seams must not line up with the seams below it in the subflooring. DO not nail it through the floor joist.
Once it's installed any gaps, and flaws need to be filled with floor leveler

Never concrete tile board under linolum.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #8

Don't use backer board and luon does not come in 1/4". Joe got it with A/C ply 1/4"
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
Tileguy

All these different opinions.....isn't the internet fun!

Years ago luaun ply was the standard as the underlayment for vinyl, no more, mainly because of what Joe said;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
Most manufactures of vinyl floor state in the install directions not to use louon, it can cause glues to reliece and color bleed through.
It's also soft and leave indentations, plus moisture makes it disintegrate.

Each manufacturer has directions on what to use, follow them. A/C ply is probably one choice. Another is a products call Multiply, there are more.

We also have a newbie recommending concrete backer and even Ditra. He/she probably missed the part where you stated;
Quote:
I'd like to know the proper materials to use in preparation for a sheet vinyl install.
So, I say 3/4" subfloor grade ply or OSB, (glued/screwed), then 1/4" A/C or Multiply or equal, then your vinyl. But read the instructions first.

BTW, what you removed was not concrete board, it was a mud-job, mixed and placed on the job.
Quote:
What I removed was some sort of cement/mortar board with wire backing (circa 1969).
Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.

Last edited by JazMan; 09-15-2012 at 05:46 PM.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote