I'm new here, currently working on my new house 2nd floor bathroom and have finished tearing everything apart. Attached is a picture of my subflooring. So after a lot of reading and research, my plan is this:
1. Screw any loose wood panels to the joists.
2. Install OSB 1/2" boards on the floor (making sure not to screw them into the joists – is this the correct way?) leaving 1/4" gap from the walls and 1/8" between the panels, staggering them perpendicular to the joists.
3. Apply unmodified thinset and screw hardibacker (1/2") boards on top, 1/4" gap from the walls, 1/8" gap between the board.
1. My first question is: Does this plan have any flaws?
2. Then, I'm not sure what kind of screws to use in steps 1 and 2 above. As for OSB, I've read that deck screws #8 1 1/2" are ok. Can you let me know if I'm wrong?
3. Also, I’m wondering if I should be worried about adding too much total weight by adding OSB, thinset, hardibacker and tile on the floor.
I’d appreciate any of your thoughts…
ps. picture was taken earlier, i've allready removed old tile completely.