Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Bathroom floor coverup!!

OK, before I start, I know that this would not be the best way of handling a new floor but due to a layer of asbestos tiles below a layer of plywood, I really don't want to get into pulling up the plywood which would probably destroy the tiles.

Basically after discovering a very slow leak in our toilet (probably at the wax ring) we are replacing the vinyl flooring that turned black from the leaking water.

Of course the plywood got pretty saturated around the toilet too. After pulling the vinyl off--which of course left 99% of the paper I'm at odd at what to do.

THe expense to pull everything up (including the asbestos tiles) is a little more than we can do right now and I feel If I'm going to do that, I want to redo the whole bathroom.

So What I want to do is cover the whole mess up with stick on tiles that I'm hoping will last @3 years.

My question is: Can I paint the floor with a primer, leaving the paper backing from the vinyl as it is. I was thinking a paint primer and then a primer to help the tiles stick better, like that Henry's primer.

What do you suggest that doesn't involve taking up the plywood and disturbing the tiles?

TY

mhstms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #2

Bathroom floor coverup!!

not the best way to handle it, and not something i would ever do, but if you are deadset on not replacing the plywood, you should put a new piece under the toilet, at least. if the board around your toilet is saturated, it will eventually begin to sink. And if moisture is still an issue, peel and stick tiles will not cover it up. My suggestion would be to put a new piece of plywood under the toilet (at least 2'x2') and then put down a layer of moisture-block, such as Drylok, then put down tiles, it wont be even and it wont be pretty but if you want it pretty, do it the right way the first time.
Use a second bathroom if available and save up a bit of cash, then replace the whole floor. its actually not as expensive as it sounds, you can get new 3/4" plywood from HD for about $50+tax, and new linoleum from Surplus Warehouse or somewhere similar for about a dollar per square foot. and be careful with the asbestos.

Last edited by firsttimeremode; 10-03-2012 at 09:04 AM.
firsttimeremode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #3

Bathroom floor coverup!!

If it weren't for the asbestos, we would be pulling everything up. We have two young children and I don't want the fibers in the air. In order to get it done right, that's where the expense is going to come in. We are going to look into the exact cost, just to make sure.

The floor is level, at the moment, but I'm not sure if the wood is damaged enough that it eventually would start to sink.

Thanks for your ideas--I'll see how many nails they put in the plywood around the toilet to see how much it might pull up and damage the asbestos.

Maybe we'll just hold our breath and pull out the plywood and whatever happens to come up with it. . .
mhstms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #4

Bathroom floor coverup!!

if you are going to be doing that, please wear breathing protection. Wear a respirator, asbestos is worse than mold. and please please please get the children out of the house before you send those particles airborne.
firsttimeremode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #5

Bathroom floor coverup!!

@mhstms-

how bad is the flooring around the wax ring? can you easily press it down?

if I were in your situation, I would:

1. Make sure there is no mold. If there is, clean it up with some bleach+water

2. Dry out the area as much as I can for a period of time.

3. If the floor around the toilet is somewhat spongy but not rotted through, consider a "toilet floor plate" for additional support (sample - http://www.quickfixplumbingproducts.com/prod03.htm; there are others so look around)

4. lay down a *continuous* vinyl sheet+adhesive, not tacky tiles, for waterproofing

5. If the toilet flange is too low when compared to the flooring surface, use spacer rings to bring up the level, and not use double wax ring setup

6. When time & money is availble, gut the bathroom and start over

Good luck.
allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote