Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
Retired Bob

Share |

Bathroom Floor Advice please...

Bathroom redecoration

Our bathroom is in need of quite a lot of work done to bring it up to a better standard.

The floor is covered with a vinyl floor covering, and its appearance is spoiled by nail heads that have started to work their way through to the surface. Beneath the vinyl I find that hardboard has been fitted ‘shiny side’ uppermost and is nailed to the wooden floor.

I would like to replace the vinyl with self adhesive cork floor tiles. What advice would the Forum give to stop this happening to the cork tiles.

Regards

Bob

Retired Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #2

first remove the vinyl and the hardboard. install 1/4" luan underlayment, either stapled or with underlayment nails. patch all seams if there are any with floor patch made for that purpose. install your cork

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

First of all, hardboard, I assume you mean masonite, goes rough side up. If nailed, you must use ring shank nails. You can get by with luan, although in such a small area, I would put down multiply or some other underlayment grade plywood. Make sure the nails aren't coming up because the subfloor is getting soft. Do not put the underlayment down with screws, it can pucker at each screw head. Either nail with ring shank or better yet staple with 1/4" galvanized crown staples at least 9/16" in length. Fasten every 4" in the field and every 2" along any seam. then patch the seams with a cementious based patch.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
Retired Bob

DannyT Many thanks for your input. I appretiate your advice and descriptions of materials that are the best to use, to get a good finish that will last.

regards

Bob
Old 05-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
Retired Bob

Rusty Baker thank you also for your input. I think that Hardboard and Masonite may be similar to each other. (We Brits have different names for things sometimes) Hardboard has a rough / smooth side to it as well, whoever fitted this vinyl has put the hardboard the wrong way up that is why the head of the nails have started to break through the vinyl.

I will also follow your guidance regarding the materials to use.

I do appretiate the comments from yourself and DannyT. This is a very impressive site for people like myself to get clear and positive information from experts.

kind regards
Bob