Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #1

Share |

bathroom floor

hi Im going to be doing a full reno in bathroom tiles tub surround toilet u get the drift i have a question on walls in shower and floors . as for walls in shower i have ditra for the waterproofing what should i use for the walls it self can i use drywall or do i need cement board..2nd floors im tiling the floors and theres just laminate down now will be pulling it out but need to lay tile down house is 15yrs old and just wondering what my options are for the floor nothing physically wrong with floor can i put ceramic right on it or should i use a sub

thanks jay

porsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
"You can do anything"-Mom

bathroom floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsha View Post
hi Im going to be doing a full reno in bathroom tiles tub surround toilet u get the drift i have a question on walls in shower and floors . as for walls in shower i have ditra for the waterproofing what should i use for the walls it self can i use drywall or do i need cement board..2nd floors im tiling the floors and theres just laminate down now will be pulling it out but need to lay tile down house is 15yrs old and just wondering what my options are for the floor nothing physically wrong with floor can i put ceramic right on it or should i use a sub

thanks jay
You can use drywall for the shower because if you install the Kerdi membrane properly there will be no water that will get behind it.

As far as the floor tiles....

I used 1/4" durarock layed down over my subfloor when I installed slate a few years back. You will want to know what you have as subfloor now. Pull up a register and measure the thickness, also everyone on here will want to know the size of your floor joists, the center to center spacing, and the span of the joists as well. This will be to properly assess the deflection of the floor. If your floor is not adequately supported your tiles will crack.

I know it is a lot of information and you are probably thinking "Well a nice yes would have worked the best" but all this information is needed to help you with a proper install.

brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #3

bathroom floor

Ok thanks about the wall was just wondering cause people talk about cement board and or durock but yes I'm using kerdi on it as for floor I don't know yet I'm just thinking and looking ahead not working on it till march break but what I can see lol is 3/8 ply and looks like lol they put a 1/4 inch sub which looks like mdf never seen that before
porsha is offline   Reply With Quote