Bathroom Concrete Floors - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

bathroom concrete floors

I am renovating my bathroom, and my nephew was helping me and he demolished all the tiles on the floor, then took out the underlying concrete all the way down to the dirt! I am know left with pouring a concrete floor for the bathroom only. It is a space of 70 square feet, and it surronded on three sides by two foundation walls and one weight (also concrete). The fourth wall will be behind my bathtub that I will make. I have use of an electric mixing machine. Please, some advice on how to do i[/B]t, materials to use, and vapor barrier. I don't know if it better to get pre mixed concrete or sand and concrete and mix them in the mixer. How long for drying etc. This was more than I bargained for, and I don't have the $ to call in a contractor. On top of the concrete I was planning to put ceramic tile.
Thank yoy

Advertisement

theodore tatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

bathroom concrete floors

Quote:
my nephew was helping me and he demolished all the tiles on the floor, then took out the underlying concrete all the way down to the dirt!
I gotta tell ya...
In all my years as a contractor and in the flooring installation business...
I have never...
Well just let me say this is the first time I...
Or maybe I should ask what was he...
Okay as you can see I am at a loss for words, so other than to say Good Luck to and yours, I'm not even going to get involved this nonsense.

Advertisement

ttr13r (08-16-2011)
Old 08-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
NACE Coating Inspector

Rewards Points: 500

bathroom concrete floors

why did you take the concrete out?
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

bathroom concrete floors

Well theodore you opened a can of worms,and they may not all come out for a while.Sence the floor is out now,check all the plumbing make sure all fittings are tight and perfect elevation for drain.Then dig down 10"-12" below finished floor elevation ,compact 4" clean rock over plastic .Dowel for rebar all around prim.of foundation.You can mix with mixer,mix no less than 1 cement,5 concrete mix.You need to make concrete floor 6"-8" thick,reason for this is bigger foot print.At this point you might consider getting trailer concrete.At about 1.5 to 2yds.you might be lost for time mixing by hand.It hasto be good finish on top,but excl.slope to drain.I would wait 3 weeks mim. for cure of concrete befor the next step of membrain on top.From here the tile guy is the best choice for completion. 1.5 worms down.Still more in the can.Good luck. We all no alot ,but can only do a little.
kchunt is offline   Reply With Quote