Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basment OSB Subfloor unlevel

Well, my first post and it's a doozy. Had to go on the internet to see if any experts have ideas of what to do......here's my situation.

We recently bought a home and we are renovating the basement. The basement floor is unlevel and uneven. Certainly you want some slope towards the drains, however this slope is a little drastic, 3-4" in a 14ft span.

So we ripped out the basement carpet and discovered there is a subfloor put down. There are 4x8 sheets of OSB T&G sitting on Delta FL. The OSB is tapcon screwed to the cement slab. In some spots it looks like the person attempted self leveling cement on top of the OSB. There are signs of the self-leveling cement cracking and crumbling.

We would like to have a laminate floor installed.

Can I put something on the OSB to make the entire room (14x17) even with a little slope towards the drain?

Other recommendations?

I am concerned about height as well as the ceiling is low...6'3" below bulk heads.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by diy-dude; 12-11-2009 at 05:14 PM.
diy-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

Basment OSB Subfloor unlevel

What you have there is all wrong and you should consider removing it down to concrete.

People keep trying to install wood sheets over slabs thinking the laws of natural, (moisture) will not apply to them. The new floor might even look fine for years, but in actuality the wood is shrinking and expanding all the time. If the covering is carpeting of certain vinyls, there may not be any visual problems. But the wood is absorbing moisture to some extent. If there's enough dampness, you're creating an unhealthy science experiment.

There is no "approved" method to correct the drastic slope without installing a new pour of cement. You may want to research Dri-Core as a base. But It won't take that much slope away, and I wouldn't use it unless the basement is very dry using a moisture testing method for several seasons. Remember, a damp slab will look dry when it's not covered with something cuz the moisture can evaporate. That won't happen when it's covered.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote