Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

basement vinyl tile

ok here we go vintage 1968 game room 12x12 thin vinyl tile i want to remove this and re tile with a vinyl tile the existing tiles come up easy with a little heat or just a broad knife i dont think these are asbestos and nothing is air born anyway. the black adhesive is smooth and hard for the most part . question can i go over black adhesive and re tile ?

ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

basement vinyl tile

Probably some degree of asbestos is involved when removing the tiles or adhesives as I gather the material is from 1968. You're going to be hard pressed to find anyone who will want to advise you with this as there is a potential health hazard regardless of your first impression. Make sure buy sending off a sample to a lab (http://www.asbestos-test.com/ as an example) and then after being sure proceed to ask for help.

FlooringDude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlooringDude For This Useful Post:
ltd (02-02-2011)
Old 02-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,084

basement vinyl tile

Hi,

Quote:
question can i go over black adhesive and re tile ?
Yes of course. Remove the tiles, check that everything is smooth, then install new vinyl composition tiles using a black brush on/roll on adhesive.

Quote:
Probably some degree of asbestos is involved when removing the tiles or adhesives as I gather the material is from 1968.
Chances are those tiles are vinyl asbestos, there's asbestos I guarantee it. BUT, so what? Do not sand it or eat it and you'll not be disturbing the asbestos. It's mixed into the tile, it does NOT leak out.

Put the tiles into double garbage bags, tagged with what's inside and ask your town what to do with it.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
ltd (02-02-2011)
Old 02-02-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

basement vinyl tile

thanks jaz yea these tiles are coming up easy and in one piece is using a iron over a piece of cloth ok to heat them a little . i get anal about this stuff but even im confident that nothing is air born is their anything to worry about black adhesive for most part its smooth and hard thanks jaz
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,464

basement vinyl tile

Jazz is correct. Be assured however some asbestos is probably contained in both the tile and the black adhesive but not to worry. Testing isn't normally required.

You, as the homeowner can remove the tile and dispose of it as Jazz said. Don't screw with the old adhesive, you can go over it and this will encapsulate it. Encapsulating it is recommended anyway.
ltd (02-02-2011)
Old 02-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

basement vinyl tile

...one of the benefits of doing your own work instead of a contractor doing this is you don't have to follow the same rules. I still would recommend sealing all the doorways out of the basement with plastic and wearing a mask. I know most people are not as worried about lead and asbestos but they do cause serious health hazards. I doubt you will get mesothelioma from messing around with one basement but if you have children or infants in the same dwelling they still have developing bodies. Just plastic it off and play it safe. Nobody looks like a tough guy by not being safe or playing by the book.

FlooringDude is offline   Reply With Quote