Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
Blues Hockey Fan

Share |

Basement Subfloor Options?

I've seen various other threads on this issue, but I had a slightly different angle.

My house is one year old and we are about to start finishing the basement. It's a walkout basement and there are no water issues at all, at least none that are visable. (I'll be applying the tin foil test tonight to see if any moisture is currently present)

We want to go with carpet, and I know it's not ideal to have carpet below grade, but it's warmer, more comfortable, deadens sound, better for the kids to play on, etc.

So, I've seen the following subfloor products:

- Dricore
- Delta
- Platon

All similar, with Dricore being an all-in-one solution, but also the most expensive.

Does anyone have any experience with those products?
Is Dricore worth the extra money? I've heard people rave about how easy installation is.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks guys.

cprice12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #2

If the basement is really dry, then a subfloor is not needed per say. My basement is very dry and we have pad and carpet directly on the slab.

bkeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
Blues Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeech View Post
If the basement is really dry, then a subfloor is not needed per say. My basement is very dry and we have pad and carpet directly on the slab.
I thought about doing that, but I was concerned about the carpet being cool or the basement getting a "basement smell" over time. Is your carpet colder in the winter? What kind of pad did you use? Does it feel warm and dry in your basement?

I was also concerned about water problems in the future, mainly because our previous house had leaky foundation issues (50 year old block foundation). We got quite a bit of water in that basement a few times...if it wasn't for the drain in the floor, we'd have had a few inches of water down there.

With this being a new home I expected the basement to be dry right now. Our home is also at the top of a hill and the ground slopes away from the house in all directions, there aren't any trees over our house and we have gutter guards in place so nothing can clog them up...and our water table isn't high here. It being dry isn't a surprise really. Here's a couple photos of our place and how the ground slopes, taken right before we moved in in 2009:

But in five or ten years, you never know...even though a membrane was applied to the exterior of the foundation and there are drains in place under the foundation slab, along with drain tiles at the footing. We were talked out of a sump pump by our contractor, who lives a few hundred yards away...he said we didn't need one.

So I wouldn't expect to have water issues...but again, you never know.

I am leaning towards just putting the padding on the concrete slab floor...but if I did that, what kind of pad should I use? Is there a thicker/denser pad available to better insulate against the cold concrete floor?
cprice12 is offline   Reply With Quote