Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2007, 01:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement subfloor or not?

I'm planning to finish my basement and would like to put engineered hardwood down as the floor, but I'm wondering if I should put down a subfloor first or glue the engineered hardwood right to the concrete?
My basement is about 3 yrs old, dry, and pretty flat but will require work to meet the spec for flatness that most flooring manufacturers require.

I know most engineered hardwood can be glued down (provided the floor is
flat) but is this the best way to install it? Some things that concern me about gluing are: no moisture barrier; long-term adhesion problems due to wear, moisture, or non-flat concrete; and the floor feeling like a concrete floor. I think most of these problems could be fixed by nailing the flooring to a subfloor and the books I've read on basement flooring advise putting down a subfloor. But most contractors and flooring people (Home Depot, Lowes) seem to think glue down is a no-brainer. I know glue down would be quicker and easier but I am more interested in quality and durability. Can someone advise me on this? Any help appreciated!

Master-o-None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:13 AM   #2
so-elitecrete

Rewards Points: 150

when we blt/finish'd a family room in the cellar, 1st laid down 6mil plastic then p-t 2x4s on top 16" o/c,,, sub-floor was 3/4" t&g 5-ply,,, finish cut-pile carpet,,, const adhesive & sheetrock screws for holding it down - never had any warpage,,, hope this helps

so-elitecrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Perform a moisture test per manufacturor specs. If your within tolerance you can glue your wood down.

Myself, I would float it. put down a moisture barrier and approved underlayment(pad) Then the planks can be glued together.

Ther are also plenty of wood floors out there that click together. Waaaay easier than gluing
mike costello is offline   Reply With Quote