Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

basement subfloor

I had tacked my situation/questions onto a separate thread re: XPS on basement floors. Hoping I'll get more repsonses by starting a new one.

I am preparing to address the floor in a basement renovation. House built in the 20s, no vapor barrier under slab. It is approx.20x20 and slopes approx 5inches across the room to a floor drain on one side of the room. I plan to use Delta FL with 3/4" TG OSB fixed with tapcons over 80percent of the floor space. I want to address the sloped floor with a framed subfloor structure in the deepest part of the room while maintaining precious headroom. Does anyone have any advice on layout and construction? I also need to transition to an area that will be tiled. Any ideas on how to do that? Thanks for your ideas

Alan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #2

basement subfloor

In the past it was common practice to install sleepers on the concrete floor and then a plywood sub-floor was fastened to the sleepers.
The sub-floor would then be covered with finished flooring.
Delta then designed its dimpled underlay to simplify the process of laying a floor over concrete.
The Delta underlay cannot support sleepers. The sleepers must have solid contact with the concrete.
I would suggest that you would lay the dimpled underlay wherever possible, then lay a plywood subfloor over this.
Then, where the floor begins to slope, lay down your tapered, PT sleepers, place a vapor barrier over the sleepers and the continue to lay in the plywood subfloor over top of the sleepers and v/b.

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wildie For This Useful Post:
Alan2011 (07-28-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #3

basement subfloor

Thanks! That's basically what I was thinking just wanted confirmation. Would you layout sleepers (on the flat side) or joists (on end)? Maybe use 4x4s? Think I still need PT with Delta down? Also I believe the Delta will act as VB, do I need a second VB above the framed subfloor? Any ideas on the transitions from the plywood overlying the Delta to the plywood on the Sleepers/joists? Is gluing, screwing the top layer of plywood to the plywood overlay sufficient? Thanks again for your thoughts
Alan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #4

basement subfloor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan2011 View Post
Thanks! That's basically what I was thinking just wanted confirmation. Would you layout sleepers (on the flat side) or joists (on end)? Maybe use 4x4s? Think I still need PT with Delta down? Also I believe the Delta will act as VB, do I need a second VB above the framed subfloor? Any ideas on the transitions from the plywood overlying the Delta to the plywood on the Sleepers/joists? Is gluing, screwing the top layer of plywood to the plywood overlay sufficient? Thanks again for your thoughts
Its difficult to saw tapers on 4X material, I would saw the tapers using 2X4s and fasten them down on 16" centers. Use PT 2X4s.
No vapor barrier or Delta underlay underneath. The sleepers could be laid on poly but not on sheet poly. The vapor barrier is to be on the top side of the sleepers, with the plywood laid on top of it.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote