Basement Reno - How Do I Seal In \rip Up This Floor? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
Computer Nerd + DIY'er

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Basement Reno - How do I seal in \rip up this floor?

Hey everyone,

I am going to be working on my basement over the next few weeks and I could use some help trying to get things in order.

Currently there are rubberized carpet squares which are glued to 9x9 tiles which are tared (cutback?) to the concrete slab.

What are my options with this floor? I plan to put down something indestructible that can be sanitized as needed in case the cats get crazy. Do I tear up the carpet and the tiles, or can I just seal it in or build over? Is it safe to break up those tiles (asbestos - house was built in 1955)?

This basement will be used for the litter boxes and storage only, so even though it is currently half finished, the work is bad and I want to see what's going on behind the walls. So I will most likely be gutting it- also I want to check the corners of the foundation for leaks.

The space is about 250 sq ft. I plan to build 2x4 shelves along the edges. Also, I may pull down the ceiling, switch out the lights and airseal\insulate the ceiling. I have hardwood floors above it and it is generally chilly.

Thanks so much! Looking forward to see what the experts think can be done with this floor.

Advertisement

OhmZoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 534

The tiles will pop off with a brick chisle. But the carpets going to have to be scraped off with a razer blade floor scraper. Not a fun job.
Your going to very limited on what to use on that floor for what you plan on doing to it.
Laminites out, paints not going to stick to the old glue left behind, the only things that may work are sheet goods or tile.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
Computer Nerd + DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
The tiles will pop off with a brick chisle. But the carpets going to have to be scraped off with a razer blade floor scraper. Not a fun job.
Your going to very limited on what to use on that floor for what you plan on doing to it.
Laminites out, paints not going to stick to the old glue left behind, the only things that may work are sheet goods or tile.
I do enjoy tiling - and that would solve the problem of having to scrape off the tar cutback correct? I could rip off everything, then seal in the tar cutback and concrete with a latex concrete primer. Then on top of that I could tile.

What about any industrial products? In stair wells you see that dark blue rubberized matt (sometimes has circles on it)...I am not concerned with the look. If it looks like a warehouse- cool with me.

Are there any rubberized pour\spray in options? Once I pull off the tiles, the floor will not be smooth. What about rubberized interlocking tiles? They may also provide some insulating value.

Last edited by OhmZoned; 01-13-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 534

The big problum is going to be with the cats odor and pee that at some point will be on that floor.
There is nothing you can pore, spray, or paint over old mastic. If you try and use something like a Soy or Citris mastic remover nothing will stick to it after that.
Best to remove all you can by scraping,, do the best you can to have no high spots and use modified thin set and tile it.
You would never want to apply any sealer or something like Dri- Loc. The thin set would not stick to it.
Want to add insulation value then go over it with Dri-Core. Look it up on the net.
Very expencive and hard to find.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,228

With a long handled flat scraper...
go down to the concrete and take everything up at once.

When you're done... heavy duty floor paint.
A few spots will need touch ups now and then.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
Computer Nerd + DIY'er

Sounds like no matter what, everything has to come up! On a scale of 1-10, how concerned should I be that the tiles are asbestos based before I go tearing them up? I'm comfortable working with asbestos, but I have to consider disposal in my budget.

As for the floor primer, I was not referring to a paint type primer. In my kitchen I rolled down a clear/blueish latex primer before tiling over the subfloor. I'm also worried that the slab is not level. The concrete work in my house is very shoddy. I could tear up the carpet and tile, scape off what I can, then would I consider using a self leveling cement or any type of a pour in epoxy to level out the floor and account for any tar I may not have removed?

Also with tile, I am concerned that it would be very cold and it gets very slippery when wet...Headroom is a bit of a concern so I shouldn't take up too much additional height. Otherwise I would love to be able to lay down XPS foam board and then 5/8" t&g plywood then laminate or epoxy the plywood...

Last edited by OhmZoned; 01-14-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhmZoned View Post
On a scale of 1-10, how concerned should I be that the tiles are asbestos...
Maybe a 1.
Disposal is the far larger issue to be concerned about.

Quote:
As for the floor primer, I was not referring to a paint type primer.
I'm also worried that the slab is not level.
This basement will be used for the litter boxes and storage only...
FLOOR paint. Done.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
Computer Nerd + DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
FLOOR paint. Done.
10-4.

I suppose I can deal with an imperfect surface, though I would like to at least get it looking somewhat decent. I have pulled up a few tiles and tried to scrape the floor (used a straight razor blade and a putty knife just to test) - the tar is shiny and almost glass like. It does not come up easily at all. What would be the equivalent to sanding? Or do you just hire help and spend a day scraping the floors by hand maybe using a blow dryer to heat it up some?

Those DriLock floating floors look hit or miss. I have had some water in my basement (only 1 time over the last 2.5 years, and during a hurricane), but still I realize that means it is a possibility. So I don't want to put them down. So forget insulating the floor, I may just pull down the ceiling sheetrock and insulate above with XPS foam that is sprayfoamed into place.

Ok what kinda floor paint do you suggest? Do i have to do anything to prep the slab besides scrape off carpeting, tiles, grout and tar Primer? Waterproofing? Acid? Alkaline? Etc. etc.

Last edited by OhmZoned; 01-14-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
Computer Nerd + DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
FLOOR paint. Done.
10-4.

I suppose I can deal with an imperfect surface, though I would like to at least get it looking somewhat decent. I have pulled up a few tiles and tried to scrape the floor (used a straight razor blade and a putty knife just to test) - the tar is shiny and almost glass like. It does not come up easily at all. What would be the equivalent to sanding? Or do you just hire help and spend a day scraping the floors by hand?

Those DriLock floating floors look hit or miss. I have had some water in my basement (only 1 time over the last 2.5 years, and during a hurricane), but still I realize that means it is a possibility.

Ok what kinda floor paint do you suggest? Do i have to do anything to prep the slab besides scrape off carpeting, tiles, grout and tar Primer? Waterproofing? Acid? Alkaline?
Old 01-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhmZoned View Post
...the tar is shiny and almost glass like.
What would be the equivalent to sanding?
Air and time.
Give it a couple years to dry out then you can scrape some more.

Quote:
Ok what kinda floor paint do you suggest?
Whatever is on sale.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #11
Computer Nerd + DIY'er

Floor paint is out as an option. It won't look well finished at all and while this is only for storage, I want it to look well finished. Assistance with next options?

- DriCore Floating floor?
- Floating laminate?

Height is a concern - ceiling is only 6ft tall.

Thoughts?
Old 07-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
Computer Nerd + DIY'er

Lightbulb

Hi Everyone,

Been a while since I cracked open this post, but once again I am back at it! I have decided I am SICK of this disgusting carpet in my basement. I have formulated a plan of attack, can some of the experts weigh in with their opinions?

1. Rip up the rubberized carpet that is glued to the old tile.
2. Rip up (carefully) the tile that is glued to the slab with cutback.
3. Wet scrape as much of the cutback off as I can.
4. Skim coat the entire floor with thinned out Flexbond Fortified Thin-Set Mortar. I think I want something that "flows" but is not like peanut butter. Use a flat edge trowel to do this.
5. Let the skim coat dry.
6. Tile the floor with normal thickness flexbond using 12x12 porcelain tiles.
7. Grout
8. Seal

Thoughts? Tips? Tricks? I have never skimcoated before, but I have tiled my kitchen floor, bathroom floor and bathroom shower.

Thank you!

Advertisement