Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #1

Share |

Basement flooring suggestions?

I received some valuable guidance from the members of the DIY forum about finishing the walls in my basement. I was planning to Dry-Lok paint the wall and some of the guys at the forum explained to me about the nature of basements and why painting the walls might not be a good idea. I now know what I will do with the walls and now wanted to talk about making the floors look a little more presentable.

I have a concrete floor that is in pretty bad shape. There are no cracks but the surface is crumbly in many spots. I had originally wanted to epoxy the floor but I'm now thinking that might not allow the vapor to breathe through floor. I really like the look of those shiny concrete floors. I have know idea what or how that is done. I have attached a couple of photos of the new floor in the new engineering building at UC Berkeley. It is really nice.

Assuming that this type of concrete treatment is not practical, affordable or possible for my siutation, I would be content installing Dricore or Thermal Dry. I have been reading about these products a bit. I would like to hear some opinions from members of the forum if possible.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. It never snows or floods but the water table is pretty high. I have no standing water, leaks from rain or other external sources but moisture is definitely there.

First I would like to know what is that beautiful floor and if that would be possible for a 700 sq ft basement.
Second, I would like to know if there are any preferences on the Thermal Dry vs. Dricore.

vcheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
Tileguy

Those floors in the photos have been honed with diamond pads, then acid stained, then sealed repeatedly, and may also have been waxed and buffed.

That can be done with most all in-tact concrete floors as long as they haven't previously been impregnated with penetrating adhesives of some kind.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:31 PM   #3

Hi, there. I am planning to stain my basement floor but also wanted to apply a water-blocking sealant. Would welcome comments about the product below: Hydra-Block

http://www.appliedtechnologies.com/h...allon_jug.html

Would this be OK to apply after acid staining? Thanks much.
willingtolearn is offline   Reply With Quote