Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2009, 08:49 PM   #1

Share |

Basement Flooring Recommendations

Hello All;
I just had asbestos tiles removed from my basement and I want to install new basement [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]flooring[/COLOR][/COLOR] over the concrete but there are so many types that I'm confused about which type is best for my particular situation.

I have pets and want to be able to clean up their mess easily and not have it soak in and the smell to linger.

I do have water backing up onto the [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]floor[/COLOR][/COLOR] once every three years or so due to roots getting into the pipes and clogging them up. While I quickly take care of this problem when it occurs, I do want the flooring hopefully nbot be afected by water backing up once in a while.

I want something durable as I will have a few heavy shelving units sitting on top of it.

I want something easy to clean, and something that looks nice.

There is a slight imperfection in the concrete that makes a section look slightly sunken. It was very noticeable in the [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]asbestos [COLOR=blue ! important]tile[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] that was removed.

Any suggestions about what type of flooring would be good in my situation ?

Is there any type of flooring I should stay away from ?

The handyman I have do work for me suggested Allure tile (Sold by Home Depot) but one of the flooring dealers I visited yesterday said that a floating floor is a laminate which could get damaged with water/mess from a pet and did not recommend it. The dealer instead suggested a vinyl tile. What do you think ?

Thanks for your suggestions/recommendations.

wtdedula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
DIY staff

Ceramic tile.

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtdedula View Post
Hello All;
I just had asbestos tiles removed from my basement and I want to install new basement over the concrete but there are so many types that I'm confused about which type is best for my particular situation.

I have pets and want to be able to clean up their mess easily and not have it soak in and the smell to linger.

I do have water backing up onto the once every three years or so due to roots getting into the pipes and clogging them up. While I quickly take care of this problem when it occurs, I do want the flooring hopefully nbot be afected by water backing up once in a while.

I want something durable as I will have a few heavy shelving units sitting on top of it.

I want something easy to clean, and something that looks nice.

There is a slight imperfection in the concrete that makes a section look slightly sunken. It was very noticeable in the that was removed.

Any suggestions about what type of flooring would be good in my situation ?

Is there any type of flooring I should stay away from ?

The handyman I have do work for me suggested Allure tile (Sold by Home Depot) but one of the flooring dealers I visited yesterday said that a floating floor is a laminate which could get damaged with water/mess from a pet and did not recommend it. The dealer instead suggested a vinyl tile. What do you think ?

Thanks for your suggestions/recommendations.
Allure Tile would be a good solution in this case, assuming the floor is flat. Since it is a vinyl product, any bumps will telegraph through. Metrofloor makes this product as well as a plank product that looks like wood. They also make a higher end plank product called Konecto, which is thicker and has a longer warranty. You must take care when installing these products, making sure that the overlapping edges stay perfectly clean before installation or else you will have problems with adhesion.

Laminates can be floating floors, and vinyl can be a floating floor as well. Allure tile IS a vinyl tile. I think the dealer you spoke to is suggesting a peel and stick product, generally cheaper but not as nice.

Another option would be VCT (vinyl composition tile) which is heavier and needs to be glued down.

A third option would be vinyl sheet goods. (People often refer to this as "linoleum" which is a similar product but made from different materials.) Some vinyl sheets goods can be floated or glued down. A seem may be needed if the room is wider than 12 feet.
JK Floors is offline   Reply With Quote