Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2010, 12:48 AM   #1

Share |

Basement Flooring Question - Cutback Adhesive

So I've scoured the Internet searching for answers on how to deal with my particular situation, but feel there are a few particulars that still leave me confused. I'm turning to some experts here to get me the rest of the way.

In the process of sprucing up a finished basement from a rec room into more of a living room. Space is around 600 sq ft. My plan is to tile (ceramic) an 80 sq ft section and carpet the rest. The current flooring is VCT with what I assume to be cutback adhesive beneath. I had to remove tiles from around 1/4 of the floor due to a moisture issue which has been corrected (ground water). The adhesive that I assume to be cutback is black in color, however it is very thin. In fact, it is such a thin layer that when I rub my finger across an area where there is adhesive and isn't adheisve, I can barely tell any height difference whatsoever. If I didn't know any better, I'd think it was painted on the concrete. I have been told by the carpet company that the rest of the tiles need to be removed (not a big deal, they pop right off for the most part) and a skim coat must be placed over the adhesive.

So... From what I've read there are a variety of products that can be used to skim coat over the black adhesive. Does it sound like I'm dealing with cutback? Do I need still need to scrape the cutback or can I just lay a the skimcoat directly over the adhesive as it currently is? Any suggestions on products? I was looking at a Henry product at Lowes that seemed like it may work. I know I've read many posts suggesting Ardex, but I have no access to that product so I'm focusing on products available at the big box stores. Originally I was going to scrape the adhesive down, the skim coat it, but its so thin I'm just not sure what I'm going to be scraping. (Yes, I understand the potential asbestos issues and will take precautions). I appreciate any advice that can be provided.

Atskodinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:32 AM   #2
DIY staff

You will want to seal that cut back--it will ruin the carpet pad----I've had success with Jiffset and Linewebers latex----Never had a reason to try any of the other brands that you mentioned--

Let's see what Rusty Baker or one of the others have had good experiences with.

As to the tiled area---Mapei--Kerabond and Keralastic would be a good choice---Mike--

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #3

When we deal with non asbestos cutback we would scrape all the glue off the floor, use a small notched trowel and apply a notch coat first, then come back and fill in the notch coat with a flat trowel. This would require a couple of coats with a flat trowel for sheet vinyl flooring. I've used armstong 194 floor patch and ardex feather finish. If you can scrape the floor and get nothing then skim it otherwise never lay any floor over something you don't know how wheels its bonded to the floor.
JCW355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

I would use floor fill where the tiles are missing and lay carpet and pad over the rest. The EPA tells you if at all possible just cover it. I have never had cutback bleed thru unless the floor got wet. If it gets wet, it's ruined anyway.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #5

So from what I'm hearing, it doesn't sound like I need to spend a lot of time scraping, just start directly with the skimcoat? Guess I'm fearful of the skimcoat not bonding. Do I need to treat the area I'm going to tile differently from the area I'll carpet?

Rusty - The carpet company I got a quote from has told me all the tiles must be removed and a skim coat applied over all the remaining cutback. Should I just build up the non-tiled areas and skimcoat the tiles somehow?
Atskodinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Unless the tiles are loose, I would get a different bid.

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote