Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2010, 12:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Basement Flooring Question

I am in the process of framing out my basement. 90% of the basement already has cermaic tile and the other 10% is very thin but hard plastic tiles. I am going to be putting carpet in my basement so i can have the same floor thoughout. My problem is that the 10% where is is no ceramic tile is lower then the 90% where there is tile. I am not sure the best method of raising up the floor to be level or at least the same height. The difference in hight is the thinset and the tile. I am guessing maybe 1/4 inch or so. I don't want to use plywood in case i ever get water in my basement. I live on Long Island and water in my basement will happen.

I am looking for suggestions or any other info anyone can provide.

I can post Pics if you need me to.

Thank you in advance.

Nick.

nsanto17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #2

best way IN MY OPINION is to break up and remove the tile. It is a lot of work. It took me a day to do 160 square feet.

warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:36 PM   #3

I really don't want to do that. I would much rather fill the empty void in the floor
Old 11-30-2010, 01:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsanto17 View Post
I really don't want to do that. I would much rather fill the empty void in the floor
Do you think I wanted to remove the tile? I did it the hard way with a hammer and hand chisel. wished I had one of these You can rent air chisel that you hold in your hand and it has a 5 foot handle it would make it a lot easier than what I did.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:51 PM   #5

Was it difficult to remove the thin set?
Old 11-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #6

That took the longest. That is what I thought the Air chisel would have been best for. I spent several hours on my hands a knees with a hammer and a chisel. After I finished I talked to a couple of friends who had done it and they told me about the air chisel. If you do it long sleeves and eye protection is a must. http://constructioncomplete.com/Cata...-Chisel-Scaler
Old 11-30-2010, 02:19 PM   #7

My basement is rather large and want to avoid this if at all possiable. I will be looking into some sort of floor leveling compound. That might be a better solution then breaking my back...
Old 12-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #8

Is what I believe it... I have a area that is just over 1300 ft of space that will be finished.. It currently has tile down but some of the tiles have popped up. I could just fill those spaces in and then Carpet over it or what ever kind of flooring I want but I am a firm believer in doing the Job Right the First time... Here are my plans.
1- Rent a Scraper... Mast Likely a walk behind like this one for 1 Day http://www.abceqrental.com/products....roducts&cat=20 I am willing to work all day to get the tile up and for $60 I get 24 hours... If I need a break the Wife can jump on it. They are very easy to push and well worth the time and pain you will save.
2- The Reason I will Break up the Tile... The House settles so now is the time I can look at all of the Floor to fill in any cracks that can eventually cause further Damage. This I will likely use a Pneumatic Chisel or if I am feeling cheap or if there are not a lot of cracks I will use my Hand Chisel with my palm Hammer (Just makes it quicker and easier). Remember the correct way to repair concrete is to make an upside down "V" shape. This prevents the repair from being pushed out.
3- Now is when I will level the floor with a Self leveler but, WARNING- This will take several people to mix and spread. I would not try by myself!!! If the floor is not horrible I would likely leave it alone.
4- Follow the manufacturer recommendation for what ever flooring you are putting down.
Docwhitley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #9

If you get water in your basement , why are you installing carpet ?
How large of a area in square ft is 10% ?
Floor Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #10

Water issues have been resolved. But I live on longisland and bound to get water again at some point in my life. The are is just less then 100 sq ft