Basement Flooring - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Basement flooring

Hi all,

I am currently in the process of finishing my basement so I can sell my house later this year. I've put up the walls and insulation...now it is time for the flooring. This is where I need some help.

I live in Maryland about 20mins east of Washington, DC. The headroom low point in my basement is under my HVAC which is 7.6' and the highest being 8.5'. Based on this information, my initial plan was to use 1" FB and 23/32" plywood on top with Tapcons. That plan was scraped because it was way too expensive for a house I am going to sell (around $2000 in materials).

While doing more research, Gary in WA recommended that someone read this link and on that page there is a product called SuperSeal. After looking at their products I determined this is what I want to use in my basement due to the cost saved (under $1000 in materials) and it will provide what I need. Is this a wise decision?

My next question is which of these types of floorings would be the best for the areas in my basement?

Main living area and bedroom will have cut-pile carpet with padding underneath and the bathroom plus laundry room will have vinyl plank flooring. I don't have an water in the basement so the only concern would be water from the bathroom and/or laundry room.

Cliff notes:
1. Want to use SuperSeal instead of FB/T&G Plywood, is this a wise decision?
2. Want to use carpet for main living area and vinyl plank flooring for bathroom & laundry room, any objections?
3. Should I even consider finishing the floor since I'm selling the place within the next six months?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any advice or criticism is welcomed

-Geran

Advertisement

Geran Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,294

Basement flooring

I would buy some cheap commercial carpet and have it glued down on the whole floor.

Advertisement

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:21 PM   #3

Basement flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker
I would buy some cheap commercial carpet and have it glued down on the whole floor.
Gluing it down to the concrete floor? Wouldn't it be cold during the winter?

Also I'm wouldn't put carpet in the laundry room or bathroom.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,266

Basement flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geran Brown View Post
I am currently in the process of finishing my basement so I can sell my house later this year. I've put up the walls and insulation...
now it is time for the flooring. This is where I need some help.
Best help I can offer you is to say STOP where you are.

Even if you're repairing from flood or fire damage I'll suggest that there is NO percentage in doing work that covers up structure.
Beyond that... be sure you're permitted and inspected too.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #5

Basement flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
Best help I can offer you is to say STOP where you are.

Even if you're repairing from flood or fire damage I'll suggest that there is NO percentage in doing work that covers up structure.
Beyond that... be sure you're permitted and inspected too.
I'm not repairing anything...I am finishing it so it can add an extra bedroom & bathroom to my home for better resale. Currently it is a 2b/2ba home with a full partial finished daylight basement. Right now, I would barely break even which I wouldn't be happy about actually.

I pulled the building permit myself and the inspector has been surprisingly very helpful in pointing out things I should do and shouldn't do.

Why do you recommend I stop where I am now instead of laying down the flooring?
Old 03-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Basement flooring

Quote:
Gluing it down to the concrete floor? Wouldn't it be cold during the winter?

Also I'm wouldn't put carpet in the laundry room or bathroom.
I thought you wanted to just make it looked finished for resale.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #7

Basement flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker
I thought you wanted to just make it looked finished for resale.
I wouldn't feel comfortable selling it in that shape to someone because I wouldn't want it that way
Old 03-03-2014, 09:14 PM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

Basement flooring

Quote:
I wouldn't feel comfortable selling it in that shape to someone because I wouldn't want it that way
Then offer a flooring allowance. Most people who buy a house, change the flooring anyway.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,266

Basement flooring

Quote:
I'm not repairing anything...
Why do you recommend I stop where I am now instead of laying down the flooring?
For the same basic reasons that everyone advises to go with boring neutral paint and carpeting (There is no percentage in trying to guess what a buyer will want so give them the MOST options possible) and that the remodeling cost won't be recovered in the sale price.

Remodeling should be done by and to the preferences of the people who will live with and use that space over the next 10-20 years... not those who are moving ad leaving it all behind.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #10

Basement flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Then offer a flooring allowance. Most people who buy a house, change the flooring anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
For the same basic reasons that everyone advises to go with boring neutral paint and carpeting (There is no percentage in trying to guess what a buyer will want so give them the MOST options possible) and that the remodeling cost won't be recovered in the sale price.

Remodeling should be done by and to the preferences of the people who will live with and use that space over the next 10-20 years... not those who are moving ad leaving it all behind.
Both of y'all make perfect sense. No point putting money into it when they'll probably change it anyway.

I'll leave the floor unfinished and just leave the walls with sheetrock and all the electrical outlets covered.

Thanks for the advice and you just saved me about $1750-2000 in flooring
Old 03-15-2014, 04:31 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

Basement flooring

I would buy some inexpensive professional rug and have it stuck down on the whole ground.
James-Colls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #12
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,232

Basement flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geran Brown
I live in Maryland about 20mins east of Washington, DC.
Oh sure I know the area, what is that 2-3 blocks?

I think your decision is a good one. It kills me when people live in a house only to repair or upgrade the house to sell it. Makes little sense to me unless the break down just happened.

Go ahead and offer 1K floor (?) allowance and everyone will be better off.

In case you get resistance cuz people wanna see a finished area, go to plan "B". Carpeting or vinyl and tile in the bath.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:33 PM   #13

Basement flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan
Oh sure I know the area, what is that 2-3 blocks? I think your decision is a good one. It kills me when people live in a house only to repair or upgrade the house to sell it. Makes little sense to me unless the break down just happened. Go ahead and offer 1K floor (?) allowance and everyone will be better off. In case you get resistance cuz people wanna see a finished area, go to plan "B". Carpeting or vinyl and tile in the bath. Jaz
Yeah I know what you mean about the 2-3 blocks lol

What do you mean by break down exactly? The flooring allowance that everyone is suggesting is good and something I never considered but it does make sense.

As for plan 'B', that's doable. Since I don't have to do flooring in the basement I can repair my deck that is in poor shape so I'll make another post about that in building/construction because I have some questions.

Advertisement