Basement Floor Options - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2008, 10:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Floor options

Hello all,
I am a new first time homeowner and really want to try my hand a DIYing my first home. I recently purchased a 1950's house with a full unfinished basement. After pulling up 2 layers of carpet and a layer of vinyl (not sure if it was linoleum) on our basement floor, we found one last layer of linoleum that seems to be glued down with what looks like tar. So, I have started scraping that up, however this leaves some of the glue residue on the floor.

So, here is my question...

What are my options here? I had originally thought of two options. Tiling or staining. Tiling will be more expensive, so I looked into the staining. From what I have read "acid staining" needs to be on very clean concrete and preferrably not older than 15 or 20 years. So, I don't know with the age and condition of the slab if that is a good choice. But then I read about "acrylic staining". Which was suggested for older and less prestine concrete. I have searched on the different threads about staining basements, and wasn't able to determine which option is the best. Also, I should mention that after pulling up all this mess, we found a hole in the slab that will need to be patched, which is also steering me away from "acid staining" (which I think looks really nice, but will show all imperfections.)

So, any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am here to learn and I really want to be able to do these things myself...with a little help from you guys!

Thanks
Katie

Advertisement

NashvilleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,266

Basement Floor options

If the basement is dry my preference is carpet for comfort (I hate cold basement floors in the winter). But if you are in a warm climate then a hard surface might be ok. I don't think you will get the floor cleaned up well enough for any stain/paint/coating. You'll probably end up having to go with sheet vinyl or tile if you want a hard surface.

BTW, your house is old enough that you might want to make sure there is no asbestos in the old stuf you are scrapping up. If there is you will want to take special precautions.

Advertisement

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
Beer Advocate

Rewards Points: 150

Basement Floor options

I agree, staining seems like a great idea at first. Easy, cheaper and you can DIY with no problem. But then you still have a cold hard basement floor that doesn't help make the basement more inviting. I would suggest doing carpet aswell!
Taipans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:07 PM   #4

Basement Floor options

Sorry guys, but I am not interested in putting carpet down there. Not only have we been on a mission to rid our "fixer upper" of all carpet, but I don't like the look of it. I am beginning to think that tile is going to be the best option. The posts about acrylic stains and epoxies have not been favorable. I was hoping there would be some type alternative that I haven't thought of. And the basement has a little bit of a moisture issue. Something, I am addressing with a dehumidafyer and hopefully the application of Dryloc. The basement floor doesn't get that much wear and tear and I would be able to do touch ups. I was hoping that someone could suggest a decent paint type product. If not...I think I will try my hand at tile. It will be a great place to learn, because there is hardly anything down there to tile around. Let me know if you can think of something better.

Thanks!!
Katie
Old 04-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
Beer Advocate

Basement Floor options

Well its your floor and we all have our own tastes so its no problem. If you do a tile floor are you going to first put down a subfloor? Or did you plan on sticking the ceramic tiles down directly to the concrete?

Have you looked into a pergo type floor? Or laminate I should say? Easy enough to install and with the foam subfloor it will keep it from getting very cold on the feet!
Old 04-16-2008, 03:37 PM   #6

Basement Floor options

Does a laminate floor have the same moisture issues as wood. I thought wood was a no-no in a space that could have moisture. Hmmm, but if I could get a good looking laminate that looked like wood...I would be happy with that. So, how does putting down a laminate work. If I remember correctly, it isn't supposed to be too bad. And what is supposed to go underneath? I would have to look into prices. Hmmm. I will have to consider this further. I just kinda assumed...no wood, no laminate. Interesting...
Old 04-16-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
Beer Advocate

Basement Floor options

Laminate flooring has a higher resistance to moisture then wood. I know they have come a long way with it since it came out. And its fairly easy to
install, less intensive than ceramic!

It has a foam material that goes down under it, there might be some special stuff made for your application though. Possibly some extra moisture protection. I know with carpeting there is a rubber backed padding that blocks moisture from coming up underneath.

Hoping someone can touch off more on laminate options and moisture, since im just a home DIYer also.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:24 PM   #8

Basement Floor options

I have some "pergo" like wood flooring in my basement and it was very easy to install and I have had no issues with moisture, it has a foam moisture barrier underlayment that you install underneath. I am very happy with it, the only complaint I have is that it gets pretty cold in the winter here in Ohio. I have to use a heating pad to keep my feet warm.
HVACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:57 PM   #9
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Basement Floor options

When you get all the clean up done, duct tape a 3'x3' piece of 6 mil poly to the floor. After about 3 days, lift it and have look. If the concrete is damp or there is any moisture on the bottom of the plastic, then you will have an answer regarding what may or may not work. If you have any moisture, then epoxy paint is definately out and laminate flooring may be an issue as well. And as was posted above, that black adhesive sometimes contained asbestos, so protect yourself accordingly.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:34 PM   #10

Basement Floor options

Maintenance,
How do you identify the asbestos tile? what I am pulling up, doesn't look like any type of tile. It's one big sheet. Like linoleum. what should i be looking for?
Old 04-18-2008, 09:27 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 25

Basement Floor options

The asbestos is in the mastic or the "glue" used to hold down the tile/vinyl to the concrete. Again, the mastic may or may not have asbestos in it. The only way to know if it has asbestos is to have a lab test a sample of it. If you are unsure, dont want to test and are concerned about the asbestos, just seal off the area with duct tape/poly sheets over the doors and air ducts, wet the mastic as you are scrapping it up, wear a cartride type respirator (a P100 cartdride which keeps particulates out should do it) and wear some clothes that you can toss later.
wsuswim147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #12
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,614

Basement Floor options

Kat,

1.) You can be reasonably sure with a house that age the vinyl flooring AND the adhesive contain asbestos. There are ways to deal with it.

2.) You will never acid stain that floor, it won't work since the adhesive of the previous floor coverings have permeated the concrete.

3.) Acrylic staining is nothing more than a paint-job and the old adhesive will likely leach through the new paint job.

4.) If there is any moisture....wood is also out. Laminate may be a possibility but it will take a quality laminate to live in the conditions. What happens if the dehumidifier fails and you don't know it?

5.) You said "no carpet". Can you imagine the mold that must have been in the old carpet? I can smell way over here.

6.) Ceramic tile may be your only real option in this case. The old adhesive stains in the concrete mean nothing. The moisture won't be a major problem. Tile is much more durable in the long run and for that reason much cheaper over time than any other floor covering.

Here's a tile product I like that would fit your needs perfectly. I am a died in the wool old fashion tileguy but thiss product shows some promise I think and it is DIY friendly.

http:www.snapstone.com
http://www.flooringmarket.com/snapstone/

Advertisement

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote