Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Basement floor insulation

Hello, I live in Ontario, Canada and I am finishing a poored concrete basement that has never had water issues but could considering the area i live, I have decided on a subfloor and insulation system and would like ALL of your thoughts.

After days of reading Internet feeds, talking with contractors and individuals on these types of forums I have decided to put the Delta foundation waterproofing membrane (dimple membrane) on my basement floor. Tapcon 1x3 strapping every 16", put 3/4" styrofoam between each 1/3" strapping and Tapcon 5/8" ply or 3/4" ply overtop.

I am uncertain if I should use tuct tape on the dimple membrane the and seal the floor AIRTIGHT or overlap the membrane but leave it un-taped to allow for some permeability and airflow.

Any thoughts, comments, questions or concerns in regards to this will help, I feel like I'm stuck and cant move forward until I can get a consensus.

(FYI... I looked into the rigid foam board directly on the concrete floor, but I think this product will condense over time.)

shorteared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

Basement floor insulation

Hi shorteared!

I tiled my bathroom floor using something similar. It has a sticky side that looks like tar and it's used as a underlayment. It's made out of styrofoam, easy to cut and no tape needed if your using flexible mortar. You apply the mortar right to the mat. I believe it's called easy mat but anyway. It's water proof and sound proof. The only way I know someone's in the bathroom, I hear the exhaust fan or the shower love it! I was told if I ever want to replace the tile, it will be less of a hassle. My house is on a slab, so when I do the tile in the kitchen, it will be my choice.
Are you going to tile the basement floor?

hollie117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement, basement subfloor, floor insulation