Basement Floor Finishing: Moisture Barrier? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement floor finishing: Moisture Barrier?

Hi all,

Finishing a basement and have a question about the concrete floor. When they were building my house, I was able to watch exactly how they laid the concrete slab floor for the basement. I am not sure if it is common in most areas, but basically what they did in my place is put down 4 inches of crushed drainage gravel, covered that with a plastic membrane (polyurethane I think) and then pored the slab. I was told by the builder that this is done to prevent moisture penetrating the slab.

Anyway, I am wanting to put down some laminate flooring, and was going to just put down an underlay, but while doing research, every site I go to suggested putting down some type of moisture resistant sub-floor.

So, my is this. Given how they build the slab floor, how much of a moisture barrier do I need to put down. Is a combination underlay (felt and poly) going to suffice, or do I need to use a pre-engineered sub-floor product (like thermacore or dricore)?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

junior.carls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,032

Welcome to the forum!

A flooring expert should be along soon. Here is some reading for you while waiting; http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...cience-podcast

Gary

Advertisement

Old 08-31-2011, 11:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Double felt: Two layers of #15 asphalt saturated felt paper that meets ASTM Standard
D-4869, with the first layer adhered to the slab in a skim coat of appropriate adhesive,
and a second layer adhered to the first layer with appropriate adhesive.
Floor Doc is offline   Reply With Quote