Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Basement floor:

Hi, I'm finishing my 50 year old basement. My questions relate to the concrete floor. First, I'd apply a sealer then I'd like to glue directly on the concrete 1 inch polystyrene foam. I'd use PL 300 Foam Board Adhesive to secure the foam. I'd install a laminated floor directly on top of the foam to finish. No plywood, no Tapcon screws. What do you think the results would be? What are the advantage and disadvantages of my idea?
Thank you very much

Opine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
floor_whore

Send a message via Yahoo to Aaroncarpet

Basement floor:

Well, if you know your history of flooding, and are comfortable installing a floor here are some helpfull hints....A flooring product like laminate requires fairly consistent humidity....make sure you have the capability to dehumdify your basement in a muggy/rainy/ spring summer fall/ season...Remember that everything you put underneath your floor will have to be repaired in an unlikely event, therefore I reccomend not using the 1" polystyrene...plus it will compress over time, nothing can defy gravity. on the otherhand the 1" polystyrene gives your heat bill a break in the winter....but they make 1/16" styrofoam [Floor Muffler that will increase your 'R factor (heat transfer resistance)'....sometimes less is more...you could do many involved tasks to try and protect your new floor from moisture and stuff, but sometimes less is more, because if your sewer backs up, or washer overflows, or a kid stuffs a rag in the sink and lets it run,,,You will have a replacement on your hands.....and if you start piling up and gluing stuff to the concrete, your repair will be more expensive....after you determine how much laminate you need...buy 4 extra boxes, if you need to make repairs in five years you will have matching dye lot...and if you have to replace more floor than 4 boxes you can do a dye lot mix.....open up 8 boxes 4 old and four new and rotate them in

Old 09-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
fabrk8r

Basement floor:

Do yourself a favor and perform a little experiment before gluing polystyrene to the concrete.
Lay a piece of plastic sheeting on the floor and weigh the edges down with some boards.
Check it after about 24 hours to see if any condensation has accumulated on the underside.
That will tell you if any moisture is coming up through your concrete and if you will have any future moisture problems under the non-breathable insulation.

Even if you don't have any moisture issues I still wouldn't glue the polystyrene to the floor. It would be a mess if you ever needed to pull it up. A few dabs of silicone should be enough to hold it and still allow it to be removed easily.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #4

Basement floor:

Thanks to both of you. I have dedided to follow Aaroncarpet' recommodation and use a thin styrofoam. It will increase my R value while giving me an extra inch of head space. Tks again.
Opine is offline   Reply With Quote