Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #1

Share |

basement floor

what can i use to seal my basement floor to keep water from coming up through it?
patcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #2

basement floor

I believe they make sealers for basement floors and walls. It would also be a good idea to keep gutter clean and make sure the down spouts are running away from the homes foundation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

basement floor

If water is coming up through the basement floor, that indicates that the groundwater level is higher than the basement floor. If you were somehow successful in sealing the floor and preventing water from coming up, the floor would almost certainly buckle. This is because every inch of water is equal to approximately 5 pounds per square foot of pressure, and your basement floor is almost certainly thin, unreinforced concrete not designed to handle any uplift pressure.

You need to determine exactly why you are getting water coming up through your floor, and correct the problem by dropping the water table. Sealing your basement floor would almost certainly create far greater problems than you currently have.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #4

basement floor

I just went through this issue. I found on line some products the swear that they do this, but I wasn't 100% sold on them. But I had water coming in from underneath every wall and through some small cracks in floor. So instead I went with the more expensive root and had the entire basement dug out. Weeping tile redone with the Blue Skin applied. It's a water proof membrane. I also put in a new sump pit that is 4 ft deep. This way the water table is kept below the footings of the house and water can't wick up the concrete. Had a few rain storms and nothing yet except water from the roof getting behind the brick. Lots of money and LOTS of work but it's really the only way to stop water. Keep it away from the house.
TBayDave is offline   Reply With Quote