Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Basement bathroom floor

In the process of roughing in the plumbing for a basement bathroom. The existing slab is not level. It dips about 3" from the basement wet wall to what will be the bathroom wall with the door opening.

Should I break up the entire slab for where the bathroom will be (to make it level) or should I make it level by just pouring concrete to make up the 3" difference?

n2learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Basement bathroom floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2learning View Post
In the process of roughing in the plumbing for a basement bathroom. The existing slab is not level. It dips about 3" from the basement wet wall to what will be the bathroom wall with the door opening.

Should I break up the entire slab for where the bathroom will be (to make it level) or should I make it level by just pouring concrete to make up the 3" difference?
Well it depends , If its 3 " in twenty feet / Or 3 " in 5 feet . This is where I usually have a discussion with the home owner about how much they want to spend and how noticeable it really is ,
If it was not noticeable untill you put a level on it then I would not sweat it , , This type of thing happens all the time , I just built a bathroom in a basement with the same problem , BUT !!! it was sloped so the rain water that came in the basement side door would have a place to drain to , AND ! the drain was attached to the toilet drain , It had a P trap , I had the plumber the home owner and I meet and discuss this , we left it of course , so in some instances the slope was there for a reason , It was not noticeable when I was done , tacomahardwoodfloors.com

tacomahardwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
carpetrepairguy

Rewards Points: 10

Basement bathroom floor

Floating a floor is a simple thing to do and 3" sounds like too much to live with.

Steve Gordon
Creative Carpet Repair
carpetrepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:17 PM   #4

Basement bathroom floor

Thanks for the replies. It dips 3" within 5 feet.

What do you mean by 'floating a floor'? Does that mean adding cement to make the floor level?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 131

Basement bathroom floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2learning View Post
Thanks for the replies. It dips 3" within 5 feet.

What do you mean by 'floating a floor'? Does that mean adding cement to make the floor level?
Yup. Floating the floor is leveling it out. Make sure you clean the existing floor and use some bonding agent (liquid latex) in the cement mix when you float it.

Frank Lardino
FrankL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:55 AM   #6

Basement bathroom floor

few more questions if you don't mind.

1) When I begin pouring cement, how much space (if any) should I leave around the toilet elbow and the shower drain? What do you use to barricade the cement around these pipes..wood, cardboard?
What's the best way to remove the wood after the cement dries?

2) This kind of relates to the latter part of question 1. What type of wood should I have arround the perimeter of the bathroom floor when I pour cement. The walls will need to be framed on the new leveled cement. Should I just whack out the temporary floor frame (that held the cement) with a hammer?

I'm very new at this, but I'm taking my time. I don't have money to hire contractors.

If it would help, I can post pictures after I lay the pipe.

Thanks!