Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2014, 10:50 PM   #1

Share |

Basement Bathroom floor

Hello,

I just finished most of my basement using DeltaFL on the slab, covered by 3/4" OSB, tapcon'd in place. We then had carpet installed on the OSB. I'm now moving on to finishing the basement bathroom. I put the DeltaFL over the floor in the bathroom space as well, but would now like to tile the floor in there.

My plan was to put 7/16 OSB tapcon'd down, then Ditra, then the tile. That thickness should keep me pretty even with the carpet in the hall. I put down the OSB and then realized that I hadn't been considering the slope of the floor. So now I have a few options that I'm knocking around:

- Leave the OSB in place, level the floor with SLC/thinset on top of the OSB, then Ditra, then tile. This would raise the floor at the threshold to the hallway by around 3/4"-1", making a decent lip up into the bathroom.

- Leave the OSB in place, and only level the floor in the 5' dimension, letting it still slope away from the tub toward the hall/door. This would make a smaller transition (if any) between the bathroom tile and the carpet. But I would then have to deal with my toilet and vanity needing to be shimmed to be level.

- Tear out the OSB, and do what on top of the DeltaFL to make the thinnest level, sound, subfloor for the tile?

Removing the DeltaFL is not an option.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Jason

Last edited by gottjas; 07-21-2014 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Clarity
gottjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:04 AM   #2
Tileguy

Basement Bathroom floor

Jason,

Quote:
Removing the DeltaFL is not an option.
If you want ceramic tile in that bathroom, removing the Delta FL is the only option.

I've got some bad news for you, sorry. Ceramic tiles is not one of the types of flooring you can install over a Delta FL system. Did someone tell you different?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote