Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #1

Share |

basement bathroom floor

getting ready to do some porcelain tile in my new basement bathroom. The floor is not level. There is a hump in one area but I plan to use my small grinder and a diamond blade to cut some slits in the high area then use a jitterbug to flatten it all out. There are other areas where it is a bit low, and I am not even sure how level the floor is at this point. I have been reading posts about the self leveling mixtures that can be applied over the concrete and have a couple of questions. Some say it sets up so fast that by the time they mix another batch the first application is starting to get stiff, or that it leveled out then stopped leaving a ridge, my question is can this be mixed a bit wetter to prevent this problem. Another question is does a primer always need to be applied first, or does it depend on the product used? In general I get the idea that the self leveling mixture is only just OK, there are more bad posts than good?

boilermaker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #2

basement bathroom floor

I've only used it about 4 times.

Obviously you need a good mixer on a large drill. I use the same mixer I use to mix thinset with and a 1/2" corded drill.

I haven't noticed that it sets up too fast, but I'm not sure I've ever mixed more than two batches at once. I can't imagine it being a problem because it doesn't take long to mix and you dump it as soon as you are finished mixing.

It will leave an edge if you don't feather it with a trowel or something. Even water will leave an edge.

As far as a primer, read the directions. I have used a primer on plywood, but not on clean concrete. I would wet the concrete first to make for a better bond.

As far as the quality of the product, I haven't had any problems. It seems very hard and stable when I'm done and laying tile on it.

cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #3

basement bathroom floor

thanks, that is re-assuring.
boilermaker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #4

basement bathroom floor

I used a lot of this in my basement. I found that it needed more work to level it than I thought it would, and the point where it became too stiff to work well came fairly quickly. It doesn't really flow as easily and settle level as well as they show it in the TV shows. Small batches and thin layers worked best.
I also discovered that the primer was necessary to bond onto existing concrete.
northernlite is offline   Reply With Quote