Baseboards -- Can We Skip Them? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2009, 02:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Baseboards -- can we skip them?

Hello -- BRAND new here, and married to a a diy'er, whom I love dearly but whom I feel it is my job to "project manage" (since I used to do that for a living, lol). I am a researcher -- he is not. So THANK GOD I found this forum!!!

Anyhow -- here is the latest (much more to come!): my husband installed new plank bamboo flooring in our living room. He removed the existing baseboards -- which were very simple, small and flat. The underneath (against the wall) looks fine. SO, he is thinking about finishing with only quarter-round (attached directly to the wall) -- and skip the baseboards. Is this advisable?

Our place in a so-cal townhouse 1/2 mile from the beach. Was built in 1981 -- has very clean, modern-ish lines, and that is our overall style. So, would this work? Or would you maybe go back to a simple baseboard, one that matched the paint color? THoughts, suggestions? (I am tired of looking at unfinished floor/wall trim!)

Advertisement

greenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:47 AM   #2
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,072

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmama View Post
...... he is thinking about finishing with only quarter-round ....... and skip the baseboards. Is this advisable? ....
IMO it would look dumb. A simple primed mdf base at HD or Lowe's wouldn't be much more work than quarter round and it would look good by itself. No quarter round needed.

Tool List:
Supplies:
  • Base 1-1/2 t0 2"h (Big Box Store)
  • Brads, 1" (hardware store)
  • Glue 8oz Titebond Molding & trim Wood Glue (hardware store)
  • Paint
Procedure:
  • Measure lengths required and combine for the longest manageable pieces
  • Cut and Miter then dry fit sections
  • On the back side of the base, number the consecutive sections
  • Take sections outside to paint
  • Install the base with brads using the brad push tool and just a drop of the fast drying Molding & Trim glue
  • For any small gaps that may appear at the top of the base and the wall, force a little Molding glue in the gap.Wait one minute then push hard against the base to close the gap. The Molding glue gets sticky really fast.
Attached Thumbnails
Baseboards -- can we skip them?-mitre-box-saw.jpg   Baseboards -- can we skip them?-titebond-molding-glue.jpg  

Advertisement

PaliBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I also have a "project manager" here as well. I think you would need the baseboard, most times it "hides" the gap of the wall/floor joint. And it offers some protection from your vaccum cleaner banging the wall. Before you buy, you could google and see what your options are. There is so many types of baseboard woods and trims. As for corner connections, you have options there as well. Here, my "project manager" usually picks out the "parts" and I get to install them. Have fun, enjoy
Old 07-12-2009, 01:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

I also agree with needing some baseboard.

To me, if I came to your house I automatically would think "it's missing the baseboard".......lol

Another idea, would be to put the corner round in and tape up about 4 inches all around the room, and paint it, to sort of look like a "fake" baseboard....
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:22 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,582

YM, shouldn't you be grouting or something?

Last edited by Bud Cline; 07-16-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:49 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Bud......
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

A newbie question about baseboards...I have quite a few baseboards at the base of the kitchen cabinets. If I pry them out, remove the vinyl flooring and install laminate, they would sit higher than where they are right now because of all the underlayment and the laminate itself. Am I supposed to be trimming the base of the baseboards and then put them back where they originally were? Or should I just nail them higher, leaving the 1/2" gap for the laminate underneath? They are about 2 1/2 inches tall. If I leave them untrimmed at the base, I have a feeling they're gonna look "too tall" off the floor.
emperor_black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you are putting down new floor you install the baseboards after on top of the floor
At least that is what I would do

They are 2.5" too tall?
My baseboard is barely 3" tall all together
I know some houses have 5-6" baseboard
How are you concerned it will be too tall?
VS other rooms?

IMO very hard to get a straight edge without a good saw
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:49 PM   #9

ok. I wont worry about trimming them then. I just measured and they're only 2" tall. Probably I was unnecessarily concerned. Thanks.
emperor_black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #10
Remodeling Contractor

About a year ago we did an addition to a $4mil house. No baseboards (or quarter-round) in the addition or the original house. It looks a little strange (you know something is missing - just can't put your finger on it), but it growes on you after awhile. I know of no requirement for baseboards.

Go ahead - get outside the box!

Paul
DaVinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:47 PM   #11
motivator

I agree, we are considering downsizing all the trim throughout the house and maybe eliminating some.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:03 PM   #12
Remodeling Contractor

Speedball,

A word of caution:

No base trim in this house cost the HO a ton of money. It was a nightmare for the tile, carpet, hardwood guys to get right!

Good luck

Paul
Old 07-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #13
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

The purpose of trim is to hide, accent, or protect. The base function; to protect the wall board (drywall) from damage. I would imagine a lack of base would also affect the appraisal value of your home.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:25 PM   #14
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,582

Baseboards are not just decorative.

They allow for expansion of the wallboard and the floor coverings. The baseboards cover the gaps for a finished look but the gaps are necessary unless things have been engineered to exclude them.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:06 AM   #15
Remodeling Contractor

ARI001 & Bud Cline,

In response to both of your posts - I believe you are both right! But there is no golden rule (or Code) that says you have to have base boards. If you have no gaps to hide - if you don't care for the accent and you're willing to take responsibility for any damage that might be done - why not? Walls to ceilings are engineered the same as floors to walls - but we don't put crown moulding up.

I think my second post was honest - it's expensive and difficult - but not impossible! If that's what Greenmama wants, lets help them make it happen! There were already several posts saying "nay", I just spoke-up and said "why not".

I don't mean to sound combative here. I respect everyone here for their time and effort to help. I have gotten a lot from this site and I said in my intro that I felt it was my turn to contribute. If its outside the norm (but what they want) and there is no safety issue - lets help them do what they want.

Pardon the "do-do" and "that that" - just gets the point across!

Paul

I would also say that I would have sent Private Messages - I'm not allowed to because I don't have 20 posts yet - getting there.

Advertisement