Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
Green Hat
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 157
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Baseboard trim on tile floor gaps......


Gents, another tile question for you in regards to tile.

I have the basement tiled and now working on my baseboard, however I have a problem. Some of the tiles aren't level and are creating a gap under the baseboard.

Not much, maybe 1/16" at most, but im afraid dirt, liquids or anything else might get under there. Not to mention im ocd and will always spot it.

Any suggestions? Im sure this is quite common.

Andy

Mills314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,902
Rewards Points: 2,452
Default

Baseboard trim on tile floor gaps......


Shoe molding---1/2 x 3/4 inch---that will do what you need---

__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,267
Rewards Points: 2,184
Default

Baseboard trim on tile floor gaps......


Caulk the gaps.
You can also scribe and cut the baseboard to fit the variances.

Caulk the gaps.
__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
Green Hat
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 157
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Baseboard trim on tile floor gaps......


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Caulk the gaps.
You can also scribe and cut the baseboard to fit the variances.

Caulk the gaps.
Thats kind of what I was thinking. I am going to attach the base trim to the wall and get it level, then attach it the rest of the way, then go with some brown caulk and use that in the gaps.

I am guessing that using blue tape to minimize the caulking footprint will be the way to go?

I really don't want to use base shoe, as that is typically a sign of imperfections in the floor.

Any other tips?
Mills314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #5
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,267
Rewards Points: 2,184
Default

Baseboard trim on tile floor gaps......


Quote:
I am guessing that using blue tape to minimize the caulking footprint will be the way to go?
Nope, waste of time and money. Use a latex caulk. Fill the gaps with the caulking gun then run your finger along the joint. Have a piece of cardboard ready to wipe your finger on. Then immediately scrub the joint with a wet sponge. Ring out the sponge real good first. Scrub the line a time or two then rinse the sponge and this time drag it along the baseboard and floor only one time. Turn it over and do it again. About two clean swipes should be all that is necessary to create a perfect clean straight caulked juncture.

Once you start a section don't dilly-dally. You don't ever want the caulk to have time to "skin-over" and it will fairly quickly, but you still have plenty of time to tool it.
__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
Green Hat
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 157
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Baseboard trim on tile floor gaps......


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Nope, waste of time and money. Use a latex caulk. Fill the gaps with the caulking gun then run your finger along the joint. Have a piece of cardboard ready to wipe your finger on. Then immediately scrub the joint with a wet sponge. Ring out the sponge real good first. Scrub the line a time or two then rinse the sponge and this time drag it along the baseboard and floor only one time. Turn it over and do it again. About two clean swipes should be all that is necessary to create a perfect clean straight caulked juncture.

Once you start a section don't dilly-dally. You don't ever want the caulk to have time to "skin-over" and it will fairly quickly, but you still have plenty of time to tool it.
Sounds good. I will see if I can find some caulk that will come close to my trim. I painted it espresso brown. Looks like basically, once the caulk is down, using the sponge will take all of the excess off of the floor and baseboards. I will work one length at a time, I only have one area where my baseboard run will be in excess of 12'.

Thanks.

Andy
Mills314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:45 PM   #7
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,267
Rewards Points: 2,184
Default

Baseboard trim on tile floor gaps......


Quote:
I painted it espresso brown.
I know such colors as mocha and chocolate are available among others. Just be sure it is some form of latex or siliconized caulk but not 100% silicon.

With the colors in the chocolate range during sponging/tooling the product will appear a little light because of the water/moisture but that quickly changes as it dries. Besides...when it is all said and done you won't see that much of it, most of it will be cleaned away by the sponge.

__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bathroom tile installation demolition Kitchen & Bath Remodeling 4 04-10-2011 07:48 PM
Baseboard trim question... jricharc Carpentry 8 01-01-2011 09:30 AM
Trimming installed tile with tile blade in normal circular saw? jdraughn Tools 5 12-13-2009 09:07 PM
Measuring trim for mitered baseboard installation abbyqueue Carpentry 3 07-28-2009 12:54 PM
Differing size of Baseboard Trim offered at the Hardware store pk1023 Carpentry 7 02-23-2009 05:04 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.