Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
Green Hat

Rewards Points: 150

Baseboard trim on tile floor gaps......

Gents, another tile question for you in regards to tile.

I have the basement tiled and now working on my baseboard, however I have a problem. Some of the tiles aren't level and are creating a gap under the baseboard.

Not much, maybe 1/16" at most, but im afraid dirt, liquids or anything else might get under there. Not to mention im ocd and will always spot it.

Any suggestions? Im sure this is quite common.

Andy

Mills314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,452

Shoe molding---1/2 x 3/4 inch---that will do what you need---

Old 12-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,184

Caulk the gaps.
You can also scribe and cut the baseboard to fit the variances.

Caulk the gaps.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
Green Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Caulk the gaps.
You can also scribe and cut the baseboard to fit the variances.

Caulk the gaps.
Thats kind of what I was thinking. I am going to attach the base trim to the wall and get it level, then attach it the rest of the way, then go with some brown caulk and use that in the gaps.

I am guessing that using blue tape to minimize the caulking footprint will be the way to go?

I really don't want to use base shoe, as that is typically a sign of imperfections in the floor.

Any other tips?
Old 12-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #5
Tileguy

Quote:
I am guessing that using blue tape to minimize the caulking footprint will be the way to go?
Nope, waste of time and money. Use a latex caulk. Fill the gaps with the caulking gun then run your finger along the joint. Have a piece of cardboard ready to wipe your finger on. Then immediately scrub the joint with a wet sponge. Ring out the sponge real good first. Scrub the line a time or two then rinse the sponge and this time drag it along the baseboard and floor only one time. Turn it over and do it again. About two clean swipes should be all that is necessary to create a perfect clean straight caulked juncture.

Once you start a section don't dilly-dally. You don't ever want the caulk to have time to "skin-over" and it will fairly quickly, but you still have plenty of time to tool it.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
Green Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Nope, waste of time and money. Use a latex caulk. Fill the gaps with the caulking gun then run your finger along the joint. Have a piece of cardboard ready to wipe your finger on. Then immediately scrub the joint with a wet sponge. Ring out the sponge real good first. Scrub the line a time or two then rinse the sponge and this time drag it along the baseboard and floor only one time. Turn it over and do it again. About two clean swipes should be all that is necessary to create a perfect clean straight caulked juncture.

Once you start a section don't dilly-dally. You don't ever want the caulk to have time to "skin-over" and it will fairly quickly, but you still have plenty of time to tool it.
Sounds good. I will see if I can find some caulk that will come close to my trim. I painted it espresso brown. Looks like basically, once the caulk is down, using the sponge will take all of the excess off of the floor and baseboards. I will work one length at a time, I only have one area where my baseboard run will be in excess of 12'.

Thanks.

Andy
Old 12-18-2011, 10:45 PM   #7
Tileguy

Quote:
I painted it espresso brown.
I know such colors as mocha and chocolate are available among others. Just be sure it is some form of latex or siliconized caulk but not 100% silicon.

With the colors in the chocolate range during sponging/tooling the product will appear a little light because of the water/moisture but that quickly changes as it dries. Besides...when it is all said and done you won't see that much of it, most of it will be cleaned away by the sponge.