Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

baseboard question an floating floor

I m about to stat the installation this week. My uestion is this....should install the baseboard prior to laying the floor or install baseboard after flooring goes in? I was planning on installing baseboardon top of floor and then add quarter round. Will leave at least a quarter inch gap around the room for expansion

mikey1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

I was wondering the same thing, found a video on one of the home inprovement stores web site, i think HD, but it went in depth on how to install the flooring and the base boards.

DrewL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,104

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1999 View Post
I m about to stat the installation this week. My uestion is this....should install the baseboard prior to laying the floor or install baseboard after flooring goes in? I was planning on installing baseboardon top of floor and then add quarter round. Will leave at least a quarter inch gap around the room for expansion
You can do it either way,i set a piece of the flooring on edge for a spacer, and butt the flooring up to it,then install baseboard.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,152

You have opened up a can of worms on this one.
I find it much easyer to install the base then install the flooring.
If the sheetrock was installed correctly it's 1/2" off the subflooring. When you try and tap the flooring together using a piece of flooring as a shim it keeps trying to tip over and throws off the spacing and you can not hit it hard enough to get the end joist to lock. Also the flooring sections are short.
How do you plan on keeping them standing up againt the wall as your working without them tipping?

Last edited by joecaption; 08-08-2012 at 07:47 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,104

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
You have opened up a can of worms on this one.
I find it much easyer to install the base then install the flooring.
If the sheetrock was installed correctly it's 1/2" off the subflooring. When you try and tap the flooring together using a piece of flooring as a shim it keeps trying to tip over and throws off the spacing and you can not hit it hard enough to get the end joist to lock. Also the flooring sections are short.
How do you plan on keeping them standing up againt the wall as your working without them tipping?

Ya gotta read the post,it's a floating install,and the first piece holds the spacer just fine,and the longer pieces are what i use.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote