Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2008, 09:56 AM   #1

Share |

Baseboard/Quarterround Color ?

I recently installed a dark oak laminate floor. I've installed the baseboards and painted them white. My wife is convinced that the quarterround need to match the color of the floor, and I think it would be easier to make them white.

Is there a "right" or traditional answer to this question?

frankthetoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Hi

In my own house (which I just bought), I am updating to walnut hardwood with a deep brown stain. I will have both base and shoe molding painted white. The door and window casings will be either walnut (expensive) or cherry stained to be similar to the flooring.
See:

http://www.oakandstoneflooring.com/i...nding_NJ_1.jpg
http://www.dreamweaver-design.com/Ho...20moulding.JPG
http://www.floorcrafters.biz/galler28.jpg
http://www.loyalistforest.com/images...d_flooring.jpg

So not to start a fight, the way your wife prefers is also acceptable. There is no "standard". I think whatever combo you choose, it should be the same (all wood or all painted).

Old 07-28-2008, 10:35 AM   #3

So...it seems the rule is more that the two trim pieces should match? We've already painted the baseboards white, so it should follow that the shoe molding is the same color?

Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post
so it should follow that the shoe molding is the same color?
That's just my opinion on the matter. It is acceptable to have wood shoe with white base molding.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...7/house030.jpg

to me, that makes the base molding look like it's not touching the floor. Hey, there's an idea.....floating base molding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT!
Old 07-28-2008, 10:47 AM   #5

I personally think the white shoe looks better with the white base boards...but that's a battle I'll have to fight on my own!

My biggest problem with this floor install is that I put the laminate on top of the exisiting floor, which is slightly taller than the floors in the rooms around it. I still have no idea how to install any transitions. I've bought several at the local big box store, but none seem to work. I'll figure it out eventually...hopefully!
Old 07-28-2008, 11:47 AM   #6

I used white shoe to match white trim. However, it is a matter of personal preference and there are other factors as well. It is also much cheaper to do the white shoe moulding/base versus a stain-grade trim
brian_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:49 AM   #7
Contractor - Renovations

I've seen teh quarter-round match the floor, and have seen it match the base. Both ways look good, I think it's just personal preference.

White would be the easiest, though.
fungku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #8

To me. The dark quarter rounds catch the eye. As moldings are only there to cover up something, I would rather my guests' eyes be focused on my floor and not my trims.

Also you will save money. Spend it on a good marriage councillor.
HomeDepot23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:50 PM   #9

Frank:

There is no rule. There is not even a "recommended practice". There isn't even a well established "customary way" of doing things. Basically, the only thing you have to guide you in this matter is the Law of Ownership, which states:

"If it's your house, you can do what you want."

But, you said: "My wife is convinced that the quarterround need to match the color of the floor,..."

I've seen tile floors that used different colour tiles to create patterns, like a checkerboard pattern? What about if you have linoleum flooring that has a polka dot pattern on it. What would your wife do in a case like that? Please don't tell me that I'd see polka dot quarter rounds.

PS: Please don't use the term "quarter round" unless you mean a wood molding whose cross section is one quadrant of a circle. Normally the stuff people call "quarter rounds" are actually "quarter elipses" and should be called "shoe molding". Calling it a "quarter round" is both wrong and continues the problem of people using the wrong terminology when the right terminology is readily available. Iceland has "quarter round police" that apprehend people for using that term "quarter round" too loosely. Using the term "quarter round" to mean "shoe molding" will get you tarred and feathered in Iceland.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 07-28-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
PS: Please don't use the term "quarter round" unless you mean a wood molding whose cross section is one quadrant of a circle. Normally the stuff people call "quarter rounds" are actually "quarter elipses" and should be called "shoe molding". Calling it a "quarter round" is both wrong and continues the problem of people using the wrong terminology when the right terminology is readily available. Iceland has "quarter round police" that apprehend people for using that term "quarter round" too loosely. Using the term "quarter round" to mean "shoe molding" will get you tarred and feathered in Iceland.
Lesson learned; thanks. ...but, the stuff I pulled off the wall, and what I thought I would replace it with actually is quarter round. That being said, I might change to something with a smaller footprint...
Old 07-29-2008, 05:29 PM   #11

Undoubtedly, a previous owner of your house went to the home center and asked for "quarter round" and wondered why they didn't give him shoe molding.

Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote