Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
Home owner

Rewards Points: 10

Base molding or carpet first???

I'm finishing the upstairs of my house, and we're still deciding on carpet colors and styles.

I want to get something done, and my door case molding and base moulding would be a good weekend project.

Should I wait to have the carpet installed, or just leave a small gap on the base moulding for the carpet to be tucked into?? Will the base moulding take a beating when the carpet gets installed??

Thanks in advance, I have learned alot here already.

Dan N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Actually, we always install baseboard prior to carpet installation. We just take scrap 1/2" stock and slide it under the baseboard during it's installation. This keeps the Baseboard up about 1/2" space....

If you install baseboard after the carpet, and years down the road it needs to be removed or replaced - The baseboard is going to have to be removed, since it is holding down the carpet edges against the tack strips.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
If you install baseboard after the carpet, and years down the road it needs to be removed or replaced - The baseboard is going to have to be removed, since it is holding down the carpet edges against the tack strips.

unless the installer knows a bit about install and will keep it far enough away.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:26 PM   #4
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

You will most likely get some scuffs in the moulding, but it should not get banged up badly(Gouged or cut with razor knife) unless you have the bad luck of poor installers. You want to get the trim up, prepped, and hopefully one finish coat of paint before the carpet, then the second coat will take care of any blems. If you are carpeting with any type of plush rug with padding, just use the thickness of the base moulding, 1/2" to 9/16", to space the trim off the floor. If you are thinking one of the thinner, more commercial-like products without any padding, I would lessen the spacer to 1/4" to 3/8" to prevent any unsightly gaps.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:48 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
You will most likely get some scuffs in the moulding, but it should not get banged up badly(Gouged or cut with razor knife) unless you have the bad luck of poor installers. You want to get the trim up, prepped, and hopefully one finish coat of paint before the carpet, then the second coat will take care of any blems. If you are carpeting with any type of plush rug with padding, just use the thickness of the base moulding, 1/2" to 9/16", to space the trim off the floor. If you are thinking one of the thinner, more commercial-like products without any padding, I would lessen the spacer to 1/4" to 3/8" to prevent any unsightly gaps.
Good suggestions.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:29 AM   #6
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

What they said ^^^^^^
I asked this same question of an installer yesterday! Low pile Berber, top end pad, below grade slab (basement). His recommendation was 3/8", install before. His point was you don't want to be cutting and dealing with say dust after the carpet is in. He also said, carpet should be the absolutely last thing to go in.

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote