Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

barn floor repair

I have an old haybarn here in NM which my father and I converted into a little cottage about 35 years ago. The existing floor was made of 12x2x12. We covered that with 1/4 subfloor material. My problem--the north side of the floor has sunk about 4 to 6 inches. Is there an easy way to rebuild the floor to level it or do I need to pull up all the flooring and start over? clyde

clyde long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

barn floor repair

Well, I don't know enough to comment on why the floor sunk or what to do to fix it. Others in here would prolly know if you could perhaps post some digital pictures.

However, I grew up in a small town and many of the kids I went to school with were from the surrounding areas, which was largely farmland. One of them's father had a barn where the floor of the loft was made of 2X12's and he needed to replace a section of it and make it stronger (and I can't remember why). I think he wanted to put some kind of machinery in there or something.

What he did was buy fir 2X12's and lots of 2 inch X 1/8 inch steel strapping. He ran the 2X12's through a table saw with the blade set to 1 and 1/8 inch high so that he could use the steel strapping to "pin" the 2X12's to each other horizontally.

I kinda thought that was a neat idea. The 2X12's woulda been strong floor boards to walk on anyway, but using the steel strapping to connect them to each other made for an even stronger floor cuz the weight resting on any 2X12 would be spread to the neighboring 2X12's too.

Ya just gotta remember to have the same face of the 2X12 against the saw fence when cutting each side and not to move the fence until all the 2X12's are cut.

I thought I'd suggest that for your consideration.