Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bamboo vs Engineered vs Hardwood

I am looking for advice on which type of flooring would be the best for a foyer,kitchen, 1/2 bath and den/office. I have 5 kids and 2 dogs, so there will be a lot of traffic and potential and strong likelihood for scratches and dings. ( I have pretty much ruled out solid hardwood for that reason). Is there anything out there that has a WOW factor? Thanks in advance for any and all input.

katetate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:40 AM   #2
43 years in construction

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by katetate View Post
... and strong likelihood for scratches and dings. ( I have pretty much ruled out solid hardwood for that reason)....
Then you should probably rule out bamboo too. Bamboo is softer than hardwood. By hardwood I mean true hardwoods such as white oak, red oak, maple, walnut, cherry, etc. This does not include softwoods such as pine, cedar, bamboo, redwood, etc. I raised two boys and two girls in a house with oak hardwood floors without kid damage. The biggest dents in my floor were from my moving an upright piano having small wheels. In the long run, large dogs are hard on any kind of wood floor. Out of the three surfaces you mentioned, I guess you are only left with laminate flooring.

Laminate flooring isn't the best in kitchens or other potentially wet areas. Liquids easily penetrate the joints and can mold, mildew, or rot beneath. That said, many people still install laminate flooring in such areas. Kitchen, bath, entry foyer, and laundry areas are most compatible with ceramic tile or sheet vinyl surfaces. Laminates work well in other areas of the home assuming the subfloor is flat.

Rick

Arkitexas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arkitexas For This Useful Post:
logluvr (11-08-2011), rusty baker (11-02-2011)
Old 11-02-2011, 07:03 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Ditto Rick...Bamboo is softer...
Sephora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:07 AM   #4

I know that I do not want laminate. I am confused, because from what I have been told by a few flooring retailers, the "stranded" bamboo is by far one of the hardest woods out there. I would like to know if thats true. I know that bamboo itself is soft, so that would not work. Any one have any experience with the stranded bamboo? I keep going back and forth between engineered hardwood and bamboo (stranded), and then hardwood too! I need to make a decision ASAP. I want unbiased experiences from real people. Again, thanks in advance for any and all input.
Kate
katetate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:19 AM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,088

One clarification, bamboo is not wood, it is grass. That said, wood and/or laminate does not belong in any kitchen. Although hardwood will stand up to moisture better than laminate, neither should be used in moisture prone areas. Remember, if laminate gets scratched, which it can, it will always be scratched. Hardwood can be refinished.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:54 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Not sure what hardness tests the guys are looking at but bamboo tests out harder than most hardwoods. And it is better adapted to moisture and humidity changes. You can get the real stuff, not box store junk, in either conventional planks that get nailed like hardwood or as engineered flooring.

Now then, composite strand bamboo is another story. It is beautiful and harder than conventional bamboo or hardwood flooring. It is used in industrial and commercial applications when extreme durability and great looks are called for.

Cork is your other option for a kitchen and one with kids and pets. It is naturally resilient and does not have to look institutional.

Here is one source for all. There are others if you search on line.

http://www.duro-design.com/index.cfm...mboo-flooring/
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:23 AM   #7

JohninSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #8

I have Tiger wood in my house but we don't have kids, just 2 yorkies.

JohninSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

I can tell you that we just ripped up Pergo Laminate Wood in our kitchen. Our problem was we lost the finish. It was fine in the beginning but I grew to hate it after it lost it's luster...we used regular cleaning products on it was our problem. I guess if we took care of it as we should have (we didn't know we were ruining it) it would be just OK for us to keep.

We are now down to the subfloor and reinforcing to lay down tile.

So I vote for no laminate.
Sephora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #10

We just installed Yanchi 9mm Strand Woven Bamboo (Janka Hardness: 2820), and it looks great.
hellobritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkitexas View Post
Then you should probably rule out bamboo too. Bamboo is softer than hardwood. By hardwood I mean true hardwoods such as white oak, red oak, maple, walnut, cherry, etc. This does not include softwoods such as pine, cedar, bamboo, redwood, etc. I raised two boys and two girls in a house with oak hardwood floors without kid damage. The biggest dents in my floor were from my moving an upright piano having small wheels. In the long run, large dogs are hard on any kind of wood floor. Out of the three surfaces you mentioned, I guess you are only left with laminate flooring.

Laminate flooring isn't the best in kitchens or other potentially wet areas. Liquids easily penetrate the joints and can mold, mildew, or rot beneath. That said, many people still install laminate flooring in such areas. Kitchen, bath, entry foyer, and laundry areas are most compatible with ceramic tile or sheet vinyl surfaces. Laminates work well in other areas of the home assuming the subfloor is flat.

Rick
I agree with Rick. Laminate flooring isn't for wet areas.
alain33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 25

Strand woven bamboo is extremely hard. One of the hardest made. Twice as hard as Oak. The test for hardness of wood is called the Janka Test. Google (Janka test wood). Try www.academyfloor.com for Janka Test results. Look for a strand woven bamboo with a good finish warranty. Mohawk makes a good one with a Uniclic floating floor system. Real easy product to install.

Last edited by plowboy; 11-05-2011 at 06:38 PM.
plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #13
43 years in construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy View Post
Strand woven bamboo is extremely hard. One of the hardest made. Twice as hard as Oak. The test for hardness of wood is called the Janka Test. Google (Janka test wood). Try www.academyfloor.com for Janka Test results. Look for a strand woven bamboo with a good finish warranty. Mohawk makes a good one with a Uniclic floating floor system. Real easy product to install.
Stranded woven bamboo is an engineered flooring product and is harder than virgin oak because all voids are filled with urea formaldehyde resin. It's the resin that's hard not the bamboo. Virgin bamboo and carbonized bamboo are not as hard as oak. If oak was cut into fine strips, impregnated with urea formaldehyde resin in a 1200 psi heated prews press, oak would be equally hard.

In any case oak, bamboo, engineered wood products, as well as wood-backed products, are not good choices for wet areas.

Rick
Arkitexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkitexas View Post
Stranded woven bamboo is an engineered flooring product and is harder than virgin oak because all voids are filled with urea formaldehyde resin. It's the resin that's hard not the bamboo. Virgin bamboo and carbonized bamboo are not as hard as oak. If oak was cut into fine strips, impregnated with urea formaldehyde resin in a 1200 psi heated prews press, oak would be equally hard.

In any case oak, bamboo, engineered wood products, as well as wood-backed products, are not good choices for wet areas.

Rick
Virgin bamboo and carbonized bamboo are BOTH harder than oak! Check the Janka test results.
plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #15

If you are considering bamboo , Just take your thumbnail ands try to make a crease in it . I don't care how hard they "say" it is , Experience says it is not hard , Second You have Kids dogs etc , I would not recommend hardwood , I am a hardwood pro tacomahardwoodfloors.com I would put tile or vynil or real hardwood and refinish it in ten years , I have seen people that have the kid dog living situation with Brazillian cherry , It got destroyed . Yes you could refinish it , but they scratched and dented it .

tacomahardwood. is offline   Reply With Quote