Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bamboo: Nailer or Stapler?

Pnumatic flooring nailer or pnumatic stapler? The Home Depot guys are telling me two different things. The flooring experts (term used loosely) are telling me the nailer, the kind you trigger with the mallet. The actual tool rental dude is talling me that the nailer will break the bamboo and to use a stapler and thiner staples.

Needless to say, I've made two posts here and read several and I already trust the opinions expressed here more.

Your wisdom is much appreciated!

And, no I didn't buy the Bamboo from HD, that stuff I could carve my name into with my fingernail. Very soft. In fact I can't believe they haven't got more bad reviews for thier Bamboo, its just so soft.

Shifterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Most companies have either a website or 1-800 number. I suggest you call them because it does not matter what anyone says, if the manufacturer says it must be nailed then nailing it must be, or warranty VOID. Have seen this happen on 3 occasions and it was sad to see.

cheers

fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Pnuematic flooring nailers for sure!

a pneumatic nailers gives a tighter fit and you are less likely to damage the floor with the pneumatic.

Last edited by Dana11; 03-08-2009 at 01:47 AM. Reason: typo
Dana11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
Wood Floor Guy

Rewards Points: 25

Manual or air driven really doesn't make much difference to the wood. Pneumatic is simply easier for you! It's the fasterner that makes all the difference. Use an "E-Cleat" instead of a stapler. The are thinner and have less of a tendency to split the wood. Be aware that bamboo is a bit brittle when it comes to any mechanical fastener; hence alot of installers prefer to glue the bamboo down. Hope this helps!

Wood Floor Guy
www.woodfloorsforyou.com
Wood Floor Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

I used an L- cleat nailer on my 700 sq. feet -- and noticed, as I installed, that some tongues were splitting off a bit. I didn't think much of it, as it wasn't breaking right through the wood.

Three months later I have snaps and pops that come from spots of the floor when I walk over them, where the tongue broke free of the rest of the board.

I wish I had used staples-- even though some people say they don't hold as tight. Not sure who I'll fix my problem with the popping, etc. Perhaps I will ignore it, as my wife says I'm the only one who notices it -- the house is almost 50 years old and has its own fair share of creaks and pops.

My blog chronicles the decisions/install:
http://handymansdream.blogspot.com/s...label/flooring

Chris
handymansdream.blogspot.com
cbeingessner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Do not use a stapler for bamboo, the staples are stronger and will break the tongues
Useing the L cleat nailer is the right tool, you will have to ajust the pressure of the tool to set the nail the correct depth and will have no problems with breaking tongues and it should
Be set no greater that 90 psi
I've installed many bamboo floors and L nails only put pressure on one side of the fastener unlike staples which have two pressure points which cause breaking the tongues
Smaller gauge staples don't have the driving power to punch through most bamboos

vancity is offline   Reply With Quote