Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2009, 05:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bamboo Flooring

My question is my neighbore had a guy install a Bamboo Floor in his house three years ago and now the floor is buckeling up and the finish is comeing off he told me that the man glued the floor down and now he cant reach the guy that did the work and the floor is ruined and it is on concreat slab. And now my friend is telling me that I shouldn't use Bamboo on my kitchen floor because it is also a concreat sub floor and you cant put Bamboo down on concreat. I told him that you can as long as you do it right I alwasy check on the web for info on how to do things if I am not sure. MY NEIGHBOR IS CALLED THE TIM ALLEN OF OUR AREA ( HOME IMPROVMENT ON TV ) because he has all of the good tools but doesn't know how to use them on his home improvment jobs.

Denis K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bamboo Flooring

no reason i know of why you can't install it CORRECTLY in your kitchen.... but what is your question?
good ol' tim taylor and al borland of tool time.... loved that show.
DM

Old 03-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,092

Bamboo Flooring

Are we talking about engineered bamboo or is it solid bamboo?

I would not use bamboo in a kitchen at all. But then some of us do not mind changing floors or having them refinished often.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #4

Bamboo Flooring

My question is I just want to let him know that you can put Bamboo down over concret because he says if I do it it will buckel just like his . So I guess what I really want is for some one to tell him that he just got his installed wrong is the reason for his troubles.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,092

Bamboo Flooring

OK, and I axed you if the bamboo is of the engineered type or solid.

Based on the answer, we may be able to rule out that using the wrong type of flooring was a possible cause. Then you can look at the quality of installation or if the floor was too damp for example, or if your friend spilled too much water of the floor. A pealing finish usually indicates that.

Another factor is the quality of the bamboo itself. With so many people buying junk from the big box stores you can't discount that possibility.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Bamboo Flooring

Quote:
Another factor is the quality of the bamboo itself. With so many people buying junk from the big box stores you can't discount that possibility.
AMEN brother
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:32 PM   #7

Bamboo Flooring

My neighbore isn't here right now he also has a home four hundred miles from here at Palm Springs and thats where he is now but when he comes back I will ask him about the type of Bamboo he used but I am sure that it wasn't anything cheep knowing him but he does cut corners on labor and thats where I think he went wrong. Thanks for all of your help.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

Bamboo Flooring

Gluing any solid wood product to concrete is asking for trouble; concrete is like a sponge for moisture. I wouldn't glue it to concrete - I'd float it with a moisture barrier.

And not all bamboo is created equal. Not even close.
canuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #9

Bamboo Flooring

I agree with you but most people say not to float a Bamboo floor I dont know why but thats what they say.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #10

Bamboo Flooring

Only an engineered Bamboo can be floated.
Bamboo laminated on a core with a locking tounge and groove.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #11

Bamboo Flooring

I'm about to install a floating bamboo floor on a concrete slab in SW Florida. I've selected Teragren Synergy wide plank (7 11/16") strand bamboo. in Florida, they run the water supply under the slab and in many cases (like mine) a slab leak can occur. i've now re-piped and water no longer runs under the slab. I had a glued down solid bamboo floor previously and needless to say it had to be torn up when the water invaded.

the only decision I have left is what under pad to choose. there seem to be many good ones out there which offer moisture protection in addition to cushioning. I believe they refer to them as 3in1. I'm considering either The Muffler or The Silencer. I've tried to get the Teragren people to recommend one and they won't which I find a little annoying.

I would be greatly appreciative if someone in the know, could recommend one to me. It seems this thread could benefit from my experience with gluing vs floating over concrete which is why I posted here.

thanks.
mjginsrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:21 AM   #12
dIYHell

Rewards Points: 150

Bamboo Flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Are we talking about engineered bamboo or is it solid bamboo?

I would not use bamboo in a kitchen at all. But then some of us do not mind changing floors or having them refinished often.

Jaz

Why is this, everything Ive been reading is that Bamboo is a good wood for wetter locations? are you asking if its engineered or solid since people recommend engineered for slab? Im thinking of putting Solid Bamboo on wood subfloor in kitchen/greatroom thats why I ask
rocketdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #13

Bamboo Flooring

Quote:
Why is this, everything Ive been reading is that Bamboo is a good wood for wetter locations?
This puts your expectations out of whack.
It is not impervious to water.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:31 PM   #14

Bamboo Flooring

whether it's carbonized or natural,engineered or not,any wood straight on concrete is trouble!!period.Glueing doesn't stop moisture and that is the problem.
My father inlaw had bamboo installed in the bathroom,plumber came in,put in new toilet..(which leaked at the flange)Bamboo swelled and cupped like mad.Funny thing though,he got the toilet fixed and over a month period it went right back to normal like nothing happened.I was impressed by the resiliance to say the least.
Back to your issue. No,not on concrete.If you can afford steps,your need to moisture barrier the concrete to start,subfloor it then nail the bamboo to your substrate.
If it's a floating floor you still need to barrier concrete as per flooring guidelines.Cheers!
deman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:50 PM   #15

Bamboo Flooring

Quote:
wood straight on concrete is trouble!!
wow. I missed that.
your absolutely correct!