Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Bamboo in a bathroom?

I have a bunch of bamboo that will be left over from my upstairs flooring remodel.

It's 72" x 5/8" x 3 3/4" real bamboo, not engineered.

I plan to install it in a medium sized bathroom. I'll probably put some sort of polyurethane over it. This will be an adults bathroom, so no kids splashing water around.

My reason for posting is in case this is a STUPID idea, as several of my non-savy (like me) friends have said.
Bamboo is supposedly water resistant, and the urethane coating would make it more so.

1) Is it "ok" to put bamboo flooring in a daily used bathroom and expect ten years of service?

2) If so, then what type of waterproofing should I do to it?

3) What is a good underlayment for it to be as quiet as possible? It's upstairs and it's bare OSB flooring right now.

Thanks!

CZ DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 10

Bamboo in a bathroom?

Bamboo is a grass and not wood.. as you look at it you will see little holes these are straw like holes that allow water to travel the 100 feet up in the air to reach the top. This in turn also means that the bamboo doesn't absorb much so it is good for areas that have moisture. However, I still wouldn't want standing water on anything for too long.
The Bamboo that is used also makes a difference.. total wise you have over 1600 different types of bamboo and for flooring only 3 should be used.. but that is not the case.. the better bamboo can handle the abuse and the cheaper ones can't... The cheaper ones also use cheaper chemicals in the construction and thus it can breakdown easier and isn't as good for health. The better bamboo is what i would use.. you have a ton of options today and they don't have to look like bamboo. They can look like wood. The underlayment.. just get a good one..

RiverOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Bamboo in a bathroom?

Because bamboo flooring is a natural flooring product it is not recommended that bamboo be installed in wet locations such as bathrooms, washrooms, saunas, enclosed porches or verandas, or anywhere that may require wet mopping. Extended exposure to moisture of this type may cause your bamboo flooring to warp or swell and would not be covered by warranty if installed in a bathroom.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bamboo in a bathroom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverOaks View Post
. you have a ton of options today and they don't have to look like bamboo. They can look like wood. The underlayment.. just get a good one..
and so what is the point of using bamboo if it doesn't look like bamboo??? I thought that was the point of using bamboo.

and while you have added some valuable info, please note the thread was posted about 7 months ago. I suspect the OP has already installed his floor.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:24 PM   #5
Wood Worker

Bamboo in a bathroom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by epson View Post
Because bamboo flooring is a natural flooring product it is not recommended that bamboo be installed in wet locations such as bathrooms, washrooms, saunas, enclosed porches or verandas, or anywhere that may require wet mopping. Extended exposure to moisture of this type may cause your bamboo flooring to warp or swell and would not be covered by warranty if installed in a bathroom.

Of course, over exposure to any water can damage anything.. but you are not talking wood. The effects of water and bamboo is very different.
It is a GRASS and it does not absorb like wood, any lack of warranty is based on the fact they don't want a flood and have to cover it.. but really it is a very stable product. If you use cheap bamboo.. you could have a problem.. but the problem will be cheap adhesives and denting.. the Good bamboo doesn't have either problem.
You have bamboo that you eat and bamboo you don't .. don't be fooled by amazing prices to put a bamboo in that was made for eating.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:29 PM   #6
Wood Worker

Bamboo in a bathroom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
and so what is the point of using bamboo if it doesn't look like bamboo??? I thought that was the point of using bamboo
cuz it is a green floor.. grows fast and doesn't waste our trees.. of which I also love.. because that gives us air.. but so does bamboo.. but bamboo graws faster.. but not in MI right neighbor. Anywho the good shuff is really strong about 3600 on the janka.

sorry about the old posts .. if it is open and I noticed it I posted it.. they should do something about deleting old posts if you can't post to them.. or aren't supose to...
Old 03-17-2011, 11:45 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Bamboo in a bathroom?

Quote:

Of course, over exposure to any water can damage anything.. but you are not talking wood. The effects of water and bamboo is very different.
It is a GRASS and it does not absorb like wood, any lack of warranty is based on the fact they don't want a flood and have to cover it.. but really it is a very stable product. If you use cheap bamboo.. you could have a problem.. but the problem will be cheap adhesives and denting.. the Good bamboo doesn't have either problem.
You have bamboo that you eat and bamboo you don't .. don't be fooled by amazing prices to put a bamboo in that was made for eating.
I know Bamboo flooring is an extremely versatile flooring product and it can be installed in virtually any room of your home, above or below ground, over wood, OSB, or existing vinyl flooring but I wouldn’t put it in my bathroom and take the chance of it swelling, warping and voiding the warranty from the manufacture. Now that’s just me.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:07 AM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bamboo in a bathroom?

Quote:
cuz it is a green floor.. grows fast and doesn't waste our trees.. of which I also love.. because that gives us air.. but so does bamboo.. but bamboo graws faster.. but not in MI right neighbor. Anywho the good shuff is really strong about 3600 on the janka.

sorry about the old posts .. if it is open and I noticed it I posted it.. they should do something about deleting old posts if you can't post to them.. or aren't supose to...
It's not that you aren't supposed to. It's just that with old posts, the situation has likely been remedied and the original poster, if not one of the regulars, will likely never see your input.

If adding info that is a bit on the generic side, it is less of an issue but a lot of people start trying to get more info from the OP in order to help and it just usually doesn't work that way.

you missed my point though. You said something about having bamboo that doesn't look like bamboo. That defeats the purpose of using bamboo in my mind. I like the looks of bamboo so if I use it, I want to see it. If I don't like the looks of it, there are other products that are often better for the purpose.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
Mr. Make It Happen ;)

Bamboo in a bathroom?

It will absorb water..nuff said.
Hell, you can get the home depot book 123 tile & flooring & it will tell you that much about flooring bathrooms.
Why not use it to decorate with ? Plus Sealing it ? I don't know..in my experience water will find a way.
tilewksremodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #10

Bamboo in a bathroom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilewksremodel View Post
you can get the home depot book 123 tile & flooring
Of course, home depot has the real knowledge, not professionals ...I would recommend not listening to the rantings of a madman nor the rantings of home depot or the staff there. They get one week of training and think they know something.
Bamboo doesn't absorb water like wood: Bamboo 101
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:29 PM   #11
Mr. Make It Happen ;)

Bamboo in a bathroom?

Here's the pros & cons of bamboo flooring .
Plus they don't even mention using it in a bathroom so it's up to you.
tilewksremodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:58 PM   #12
Aged Sleeper

Bamboo in a bathroom?

I think Bamboo is a great option for a bathroom. It doesn't absorb like wood and it is nice to look at. Like the bamboo that looks like exotic wood. NICE!

Bken is offline   Reply With Quote