Balcony Flooring - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Balcony flooring

I have a balcony over my patio and it warped, cracked and leaked. I ripped out the old stamped concret and plywood. I need help in stacking of materials. I want to install 3/4 plywood with tile on top. Any suggestion is appriciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Balcony flooring-img_3648.jpg   Balcony flooring-img_3654.jpg   Balcony flooring-img_3658.jpg  

Advertisement

jsermani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Balcony flooring

The ledger looks wayyyyyy to light as do the joists. I would plan to start from scratch. What you have doesn't even look safe without the load of tile. Unless the framing is a whole bigger than it looks in the pictures, this is a disaster looking for a place to unfold.

Advertisement

Last edited by Maintenance 6; 11-09-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Balcony flooring

Where are you located?
What is the span distance & distance between beams?
It does not look sturdy enough to hold tile without cracking
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,306

Balcony flooring

Where do you live? Does it get below freezing there?

The stamped concrete was a failure because there is no waterproof membrane under it.
Concrete and tile are not a water proof surface,they must have a membrane under.

Your deck structure does not look strong enough to support tile with out flexing and breaking the tile.

I could be wrong about that,might just be the pictures, Good luck on that--MIKE--

Here is a link to a tile site that hands out some sound advice-Shower Construction Info (a collection of posts) - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #5

Balcony flooring

Thanks for the quick reply guys. Here are some more pictures. The balcony is 14' x 22' and the joists are 34" apart. I am in California, so there is no snow or freezing here.
Attached Thumbnails
Balcony flooring-img_3650.jpg   Balcony flooring-img_3652.jpg   Balcony flooring-img_3651.jpg  
Old 11-09-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
DIY staff

Balcony flooring

The 32 inch span worries me--even with 3/4 t&g topped with 3/4 T&G ply you will get more flexing than a tile can take,

However--you are an adult so you can make your own decisions.

I do not recommend tiling this ,If you decide to do it any way-Use a waterproof membrane,flash in the deck like a roof,so no water can ever reach the decking and swell it.

Use a small tile-6x6 or 8x8--hopefully the grout will give a little when the decking flexes.

Water must never ever reach the decking -any swelling will pop your tiles loose.

Some one here may be able to offer you a suggestion for a decking system that will give you the waterproof 'roof' you need for the lower patio that can take the flexing of the upper deck system.

MIKE
Old 11-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Balcony flooring

You need more joists to cut down that spacing to 24" or less, then we'll talk about how to build & waterproof the subfloor for tile.

Not crazy about that overhang either, no outside support, I would think about something else besides tile.
R&D Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:01 AM   #8

Balcony flooring

I am not fixed on tile ( i rather not). Just want something that does not leake down and is not wobbly to walk on. I have been searching the internet for all kinds of flooring for a balcony, but cant realy find anything other than tile. I was hoping to find someting i could just roll out. Any suggestion is higly appriciated. Oh, and the planks you see in the pictures all have to be removed as well, they all have water damage.

thanks in advance.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
DIY staff

Balcony flooring

Just a thought--What you are really doing is building a roof top deck--google that- see what you get.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #10

Balcony flooring

First I would agree with R&D that the first step is to solve your joist issue. After the joist are cut down, you will be able to tile over it. I would suggest Schluter Troba. (http://www.schluter.com/7_1_troba.aspx). It is a sub surface drainage system. It allows the water to flow freely to the sloped waterproofing layer and out the drainage exit. With the proper deck, drainage system, and joist spacing, you should have no problem tiling the area. Good luck.
ShipTileDirect. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #11
DIY staff

Balcony flooring

Just ran across a few interesting ideas--So I decided to wake up this post.

The OP (original poster) probably has his plans made-however a lot of people would like to stay dry under the upstairs deck
Check these out---- under deck waterproofing - Google Search
Kit Work

Last edited by oh'mike; 11-20-2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: can spell
Old 02-06-2010, 07:32 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,484

Balcony flooring

better strengthen the deck supports - you already mention ' wobbly ' so nothing'll be any good if that's the case,,, we've done several decks w/thin-stamped polymer-modified conc but there's a membrane down 1st follow'd by expand'd wire mesh & TONS of staples.

' ecofriendly ', in this instance, would best be defined as only doing it once

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote