Baement Flooring - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2008, 01:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Baement flooring

I live in the Chicago land area and have a full basement below grade. I just recently stepped on a rubber floor and found it quite comfortable to walk on. I been reading up on the pros and cons of the rubber floor. Moisture always comes to the question with mold. What I am wondering is what ever I put down on the cement floor whether it be vinyl, linoleum, rubber or carpeting the moisture will still be there underneath. I tried the test with a rubber mat and there is moisture underneath it when I picked it up. I am still wondering what will be best for the basement. I should point out the house is 5 years old and knock on wood no seepage to this date. Any suggestions will be apppreciated

Advertisement

wmlbdmfpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Baement flooring

The CRI recommends you do a test with something called a "calcium chloride" test kit. Phone up any carpet retailer and ask to speak to their installations manager, and ask him who sells flooring installation supplies in your area. That place will undoubtedly also sell calcium chloride test kits. The test is simple. You weight out a certain amount of calcium chloride in a small pan. cover it with plastic and tape the perimeter of the plastic down, leave it like that for 3 days, and then measure the weight of the calcium chloride again. Since calcium chloride absorbs moisture, the change in weight of the calcium chloride will allow you to determine the rate at which water is coming out of your floor in pounds/1000 sq ft/day.

The CRI says that below 3 lbs/1000 sq ft/day, it's OK to install most carpet. At 3 to 5 lbs/1000 sq ft/day, you can still install carpets with porous backings, but the risk of moisture related problems increases. Don't install carpet if the moisture evaporation rate out of the concrete is more than 5 lbs/1000 sq ft/day.

http://www.carpet-rug.org/technical_...n_Concrete.pdf

I have synthetic rubber stair treads on my front and back stairways. It's a very durable material. However, synthetic rubber flooring is generally more expensive than most people assume. It makes for a very durable floor, but be prepared for some sticker shock when you go shopping for it.
Prolly the biggest name in synthetic rubber flooring is Johnsonite at www.johnsonite.com
I'd go to their web site and find out what the limits are for moisture egress for installing synthetic rubber floor tiles over concrete. Roppe and Bengard also make vinyl and rubber flooring accessories, but I don't know if either makes rubber flooring.

Advertisement

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 10-18-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote