Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2009, 08:26 AM   #1

Share |

Bad floor

I own a 1998 manufactured home, (that I purchased) and I found out that nova deck was used instead of 3/4" plywood that we wanted and was stated on contract well our plastic tube that drained the A/C condensation cracked and ran down into the insulation, we now have a whale hump in our living room about 8' long and 2' wide can someone please tell me the best way of fixing this, your time and advice is greatly appreciated ?

dykeswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

Bad floor

Not familiar with the "nova deck" name. I'm assuming it's like particle board from the sound of how it reacted to water. You'll have to pull the carpet back, cut out the bad place in the floor, and replace with a like-thickness plywood. It would be best to go ahead and do the whole floor in that particular room in my opinion to assure there isn't a recurrence of the problem on down the road....

Old 09-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #3

Bad floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
Not familiar with the "nova deck" name. I'm assuming it's like particle board from the sound of how it reacted to water. You'll have to pull the carpet back, cut out the bad place in the floor, and replace with a like-thickness plywood. It would be best to go ahead and do the whole floor in that particular room in my opinion to assure there isn't a recurrence of the problem on down the road....
Thought about cutting slits in it so I can screwing it back down to the floor joist then laying 5/8 P/W on top of it screwing it also to the floor joist
Old 09-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Bad floor

If it's similar to particle board, that won't work. The board itself has swelled and the composition of the board won't allow it to be nailed back down. Particle board is just like taking a bunch of sawdust and adding glue to hold it together to form sheets. Once it gets wet, it's done. You try to nail it and it will just fall apart. You could cut out the bad place, patch it, then add a layer of plywood over the entire floor if you want. You could end up with the same issue later if water were seep through the joints of the plywood and find it's way to the "nova deck". Then you have to remove the top layer to get to the core of the problem....
Old 09-19-2009, 08:11 PM   #5

Bad floor

Thank you for the info...sounds like I have a lot of work ahead of me...
Old 09-20-2009, 07:32 AM   #6
Drywall contractor

Bad floor

But worth it in the long run. Best of luck.