Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #1

Share |

Bad advice on Wood floor

I have been getting a ton of great info since I started coming here , but I just got my first bit of bad advice, I posted earlier that I had a wood floor done in the traditional way, stained and 3 coats of poly.....it had some light scratches and wanted to know what to do, I was told 0000 steel wool and floor paste wax would work, well, it did ok with the scratches however the wax leaves even more marks on the floor altough different, when ever you walk on the floor now, it leaves your footprint EVERYWHERE, its really bad, now I'm not sure what to do, side note the wax was put on properly, used lightly alowed to dry, then duffed out with an electric machine, not commercial small home use unit, anyone experienced on wood floors that came give me solid info, thanks,

turbomangt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #2

Bad advice on Wood floor

From a professional wood flooring forum.............

Remove the wax....the technique you were given only applies to waxed floors, not urethane. Not only will it not do anything for the scratches, it can be very slick and very dangerous, especially if you have young children on it.
All floors will scratch, dent, etc., and over time the urethane will dull as well....it's part of having a hardwood floor. Once a floor is several years old, it is recommended to have it recoated to fill in scratches and restore the gloss. In the meantime, do what you can to limit the scratching (furniture protectors, rugs in the highest traffic areas, etc.), but you have to live with some of it.

turbomangt is offline   Reply With Quote