Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Backerboard

Is it ok to lay 1/4" cement backer board over existing linoleum flooring before laying ceramic tile or does the linoleum have to be removed ?

denislush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 502

Backerboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by denislush
Is it ok to lay 1/4" cement backer board over existing linoleum flooring before laying ceramic tile or does the linoleum have to be removed ?
Removing the linoleum would be the best case because even if it's glued down it will have some air under it which will cause movement. Cement board holds no structure for tile, so air can cause backer board to move and cracking thinset and or grout.

JetSwet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Backerboard

Rmove the Linoleum! I have tried placing backer board over a linoleum floor in a small bath. It has been about 2 years and I just bought new flooring to do the job over. The sales person at the home store said it would work..... Wrong! Take the time and do it right the 1st time.
bigguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #4

Backerboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy55
Rmove the Linoleum! I have tried placing backer board over a linoleum floor in a small bath. It has been about 2 years and I just bought new flooring to do the job over. The sales person at the home store said it would work..... Wrong! Take the time and do it right the 1st time.
Never go with the box store guys they aren't perfesionals.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,090

Backerboard

Jet & Bigguy are right, but don't go far enough. Chances are your vinyl is installed over 1/4" underlayment of some type. The 1/4" stuff needs to be at the curb too. Verify the layers you've got there and let us know in detail. If there is 1/4" wood, take it up with the flooring attached.

How old is the floor? If old, there might be asbestos involved. Let us know, take pics if you can.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #6

Backerboard

Got to leave room for you Jaz don't want to open and close case before you get here lol