Back Yard Concrete Slab Dilemma - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Back yard concrete slab dilemma

I bought a 6,000 sq ft home foreclosure about 2 years ago and it is the biggest money pit ever. i have paid for a lot to be done but I have also done a lot myself ( not easy 5 ' 3" about 115 lbs)

the back porch area is huge..about 900 sq ft and the people before me tiled the whole area but with shiny slippery ceramic tile. after falling many tmes after the pool and rain, to save money, I roughed it up and painted it with deck paint with non skid. it bubbled and peeled but it served its purpose.

finally, last month i rented the hammer and the tile is gone! but it has left many areas of thin set and the concrete is cracked etc.
a mess but its done.

now what to do? I want a beautiful back yard but this is a lot of space.
its also very very hot in vegas...

getting estimates and folks out here to talk with me about it is tough. im a single girl 2 boys and im cautious of many issues..
im sure you know why and what those issues would be.

I would love something beautiful and different. but how do i go about this.
I do'nt have a ton of money..im already broke!

Advertisement

sharonsvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,682

put some non slip tile on it ?

Advertisement

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Why not look into rubber. or rubber and stone aggregate paving materials. Clients I have specified pavers and tiles for have been extremely happy. They are easy to maintain and replace. They come in all kinds of shapes and patterns ranging from cobblestone to brick and even large squares. You can get them in colors. They are a green material and may qualify for tax credit. They are great to walk on and really nice around a pool. Horse tracks use them because they are easier on horse joints than concrete or asphalt. They are popular as a surface for playgrounds too.

You will want to get quality rubber pavers or tiles at some place other than a box store that only has cheap ones.

Some paving contractors have machines that can lay down a continuous layer of rubber not unlike laying down asphalt.

Last edited by user1007; 05-22-2012 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Added Photos
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,164

So what exactly do you have in mind??

Some pic's would help also.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
DIY-er

Rewards Points: 75

There are many options for resurfacing cracked concrete, it depends on the look and feel you want.

You could:

- hire a contractor to pour a thin layer of concrete and have it stamped into an attractive pattern - they can make it look like stone or brick.

- apply a layer of mortar then a thin veneer of stone or brick

- apply a rubber surface as another poster suggested, but just be aware that it does disintegrate with heavy use - an installer usually adheres it with adhesive - you will also have to smooth out the concrete by filling the cracks or applying mortar before installing the rubber surface. Although it is one of the more expensive options, you can choose from an array of colors and create patterns and designs.

- apply a course of limestone screenings to make a level base, then lay down larger concrete patio pavers (eg. 2 ft x 2 ft.) or concrete pavers - you can leave spaces between the large pavers and fill it with grass, moss, thyme or other plant material

The best option depends on the location of the cracked concrete and how close it is to the pool.

You might try to resurface only part of the 900 sq. ft., since you think the area is too large, and lay topoil on the rest and turn it into a raised garden or sodded lawn..... if you want to have a Japanese garden feel, lay down peastone instead.
KevinPh is offline   Reply With Quote