Azek Decking And Cortex Screw System - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Azek Decking and Cortex Screw System

I'm having Azek decking installed using the Cortex screw system and having some problems.

The Cortex screw system is a little device that goes in a drill bit. It consists of a screw bit, spring, and nylon washer. The idea is that the bit drives the screw through the Azek decking to a specific depth as determined by the nylon washer. The screw is designed to ream out a slightly larger hole above the screw head to accept a plug that comes with the screws.

The problem is that the nylon washer is creating a round depression in the surface of the Azek.

Does anyone know how these dents might be repaired?

Incidentally, a Cortex rep told me that it is imperative that an 18V cordless or 1 inch corded drill be used to install the screws in Azek. My crew is using an 18V cordless but it's still leaving the impressions.

Advertisement

EdtheC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

http://www.contractortalk.com/index....FZJd5Qoday-J9g

Advertisement

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
SDC

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdtheC View Post
I'm having Azek decking installed using the Cortex screw system and having some problems.

The Cortex screw system is a little device that goes in a drill bit. It consists of a screw bit, spring, and nylon washer. The idea is that the bit drives the screw through the Azek decking to a specific depth as determined by the nylon washer. The screw is designed to ream out a slightly larger hole above the screw head to accept a plug that comes with the screws.

The problem is that the nylon washer is creating a round depression in the surface of the Azek.

Does anyone know how these dents might be repaired?

Incidentally, a Cortex rep told me that it is imperative that an 18V cordless or 1 inch corded drill be used to install the screws in Azek. My crew is using an 18V cordless but it's still leaving the impressions.
I have done thousands of SF of this decking and fastener system, I cannot say I have had this problem
SDC is offline   Reply With Quote