Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Avg cost of tile

We are planning on redoing our floor. I want to put heat under it and will also use ditra. What is the avg cost of a medium priced tile? How much should it cost me to do around 325 sq ft? Thanks.

ingeborgdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2

Avg cost of tile

This is DIY, so I assume you are doing all the work yourself. Ditra is about $1.50 per square foot. Electric heat, including thermostat, cost me about $900 for 140 square feet, or about $6 per square foot. Grout and thinset should be perhaps $1 per square foot. Tile goes anywhere from $1 per square foot (rock bottom HD tile) to over $30 per square foot for top of the line stone.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:09 AM   #3

Avg cost of tile

Any recommendations on a good tile for a good price?
Old 10-25-2009, 01:03 PM   #4

Avg cost of tile

You get what you pay for.

Look for close outs if price is an issue.
R&D Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #5

Avg cost of tile

Price is not really an issue but I don't want to pay $30 a sq ft also.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
Tileguy

Avg cost of tile

YEA...right..."price is not an issue".

Low/medium price range for porcelain floor tiles. You can find closeouts-seconds or some really cheap (junk) tiles for about a buck or even less. Nothing I'd want on my floors with the exception of utility areas that get little use.

Low priced tiles that are a decent quality maybe $2-3 a ft.

Medium quality tiles, $3-5 or so.

What kind of room and substrate? Doing the work yourself? Ditra.....smart move.

It makes no sense to buy cheap materials when tile is supposed to last 40-50 years and takes a great deal of effort to do it right. IE. a 300 ft. kitchen area, if you hire it done by a good tile guy might cost $3-4k total. Buy cheap tiles, save $300, not smart.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:18 PM   #7

Avg cost of tile

Any recommendations?
Old 10-25-2009, 09:36 PM   #8
Tileguy

Avg cost of tile

Recommendations? What do you mean? Do you know how many tile manufacturers there are in the world? There are thousands and each one makes many hundreds or more different colors and styles.

What "look" are you after? Where do you live? Where have you looked? Found anything interesting yet? One of my favorites is a tile made by Monocibec, the series is Graal. I've shipped out several orders out of state recently.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:41 PM   #9

Avg cost of tile

We are going with our new kitchen/dining/tv viewing/living room with modern contemporary look. The kitchen/dining/tv viewing area will all have tile. I want a modern contemporary look. Thanks so much for the response.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:41 PM   #10

Avg cost of tile

Is porcelain better than ceramic?
Old 11-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #11
Tileguy

Avg cost of tile

Porcelain is ceramic, but not all ceramic is porcelain. So yes, porcelain is a better, harder type of tile. Do you need it for residential floors? No, but most tiles are porcelain these days and there are benefits.

Have you narrowed your choices?

Jaz

Old 11-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #12

Avg cost of tile

No, have not narrowed anything out yet. We will start looking hard after more research. Just for my kitchen, dining area.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #13
long island, NY

Avg cost of tile

as DIY'ers doing their first tile job, I'll let you in on some things I learned over the last few months on this board. Experts, please correct anything I write that is inaccurate.....

1) Pick out tiles that you can cut with the tools you will have. Ex. #1 porcelain is HARD. so hard that some smaller tile saws might have issue with thick porcelain tiles. In that situaion, it's best to buy/rent a wet saw. Ex. #2- a large tile means you need a saw with a long rip length. 30"+ tiles = most saws won't be able to cut it...

2) do a lot of searches online and on this site regarding tile parameters and how you're laying the tile (ex. huge 24" tiles might be a bad idea on a wood subfloor)

3) I believe real stone tiles have additional considerations... don't recall them though... I know one is sealing the tiles... at any rate, do your reading on that topic if you want stone.

4) proper subfloor prep is often the difference between a good job and floor failure. Read-up on leveling a floor, subfloors, and ditra mats....

Ignoring price for a moment, if we could do it again, we'd shy away from huge wall tiles... especially as a DIY job. It's very intimidating.... (all of our porcelain tiles are at the high end of the general price range for porcelain... about $10/sq ft... pretty similar in price to less expensive stone tiles)
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:52 AM   #14

Avg cost of tile

I am planning on using Ditra underneath the tiles and actually using warm wire underneath that to heat the floor. I am going to reinforce the floor first to make sure it is as stable as it can be. 18" tiles are the size we like, will these be too big for a wood subfloor? Why would large tiles be a bad idea?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #15
long island, NY

Avg cost of tile

I'm just relaying this info 2nd hand... a pro tile guy (can't remember who) recently posted on a thread (within the last 2 weeks or so?) that tiles over 14" are very difficult to lay on wood becuase big tiles require literally NO movement of the subfloor... and even reinforcing the sub might not be sufficient for large tiles.

I hope another poster with more tiling experience can chime in on this thread and confirm / deny this info for you....

diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote